eight - the date

SATURDAY • MARCH 21, 2015

"You're insane!"

"Are you really going through with this? You might not make it back alive!"

"You just wasted five-hundred dollars on something so...irrelevant!"

Shawn just rolled his eyes at all the comments that were leaving his Kappa Omega friends's mouths. He fixed his hair one last time. "First of all, yes, I am going through with this. I don't care if I make it back alive; I want to go on this date with Sofia." He began firmly. "Second of all, I might be a little insane. Third of all, it was a good deal. I auctioned off someone for five hundred dollars, when really - she's worth billions."

No one made a comment. "Bro," Cameron spoke up with a chuckle. "You're so blinded with love."

Shawn opened the front door of their fraternity house, thinking about the statement. "Yeah," he finally said with a grin. "I guess I am. But if you knew Sofia like I did, you'd be, too."

--

"Hello, ladies," Shawn greeted with a smirk as he pushed passed Lola, who had opened the front door when he rung the doorbell. "It's ravishing to see you all again. How are you pretty girls doing?"

"Shut up." Everyone said in unison, all glaring at the boy who innocently stood by the entrance. Shawn rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, leaning back on the closed front door.

"So, we've established that you're all very pretty," Shawn began, looking at each one of the Delta Phi sorority girls, who stayed where they were in front of him, scowls on their faces. "But where's the most beautiful girl? My girl."

"Before I fry you alive, you should shut the hell up and don't call me yours again." Sofia's voice boomed throughout the house, as she descended from the upstairs, dressed in more casual clothing. Shawn immediately grinned and pushed himself off the door, ambling towards Sofia as she reached the downstairs. "Now, let's get this hell over with. I want to go home as fast as I can."

"Always so beautiful. Jesus." Shawn complimented, taking Sofia's hand. "Bye, pretty girls! I'll bring her home before twelve, don't worry."

"Don't touch me!" Sofia exclaimed and pulled her hand away from Shawn's, halting before he had the chance to pull her out the door. She turned to her sisters. "If I'm not home by ten, don't call the cops. I don't want to be put to questions, because it's most likely going to be me killing him."

--

After the twenty-minute car drive consisting of glowers and snarky comments from Sofia, they finally arrived at Glenn 50s Diner. "First stop," Shawn announced, smiling gently at Sofia, who had no expression on her face. "Dinner." He first got out of the car, Sofia following his actions after rolling her eyes.

She looked at the exterior of the place, and noticed how not a lot of people were inside. "It looks cheap." She remarked bitterly with a disgusted expression on her face, as the two of them walked into the diner together.

"You're lucky I didn't bring you back to Burger King." Shawn joked, as the both of them picked a booth to sit at. "I'm kidding. But not everyone is the son or daughter of a CEO, Sof, and this place is cute - like you."

"I might get food poisoning."

"No, you wont."

"Good evening," a waitress approached the two, handing them menus. She had a smile on her face that was too wide. "My name's Tammy, and I'm going to be your waitress for tonight. Would you like any drinks?"

"That dress looks terrible on you." Sofia blurted, eyeing the innocent waitress, who looked to be in her mid thirties. She wore a typical 50s restaurant dress - the colour red with white linings.

She frowned. "What was that, dear?"

"Terrible is what we kids say nowadays. It means the opposite of what it really means." Shawn explained, sending Sofia a warning look. Tammy's offended look eased, and she smiled kindly at Shawn.

"Why," she hummed. "Thank you, then."

"Yeah. And when you hear her complaining about the food, it really means she loves it." He had to add, already knowing what the future was going to be. "And we'll just have lemonade. We'll say our orders when you come back."

Tammy nodded while she wrote the order down on a pad of paper. She smiled one last time before walking away, towards the kitchen.

"Sofia." Shawn sternly began, and she rolled her eyes, ignoring him. While he spoke, she looked towards the side, clenching her jaw. "Could you at least behave for one night? One night! I'm being serious, Sof."

She groaned, looking at Shawn. "I am behaving! At least I didn't mention her eyeliner that was way too far from where it was supposed to be!"

"Sof..."

"Fine, I'll stop! For now." She muttered, looking down at her menu. She looked at it for a bit, then: "I'll have Mac N' Cheese. You order for me. I'll be in the washroom, trying to stop myself from wanting to stab you." She stood up from the booth, walking towards where the washrooms were located, but Shawn grabbed her wrist, halting her.

"No. Sit down, Sofia; this is a date. You're not escaping me. You're mine for the night." He reminded, and Sofia stomped her foot on the ground before going back to her seat, anyways. "Tammy is coming back. Behave."

"Since you're liking Tammy so much, why don't you go on this date with her?" Sofia grumbled, watching as Shawn grinned at Tammy as she placed the two lemonades on the table. He proceeded to tell the waitress their orders.

"Why'd you even auction, Shawn?" Sofia asked while they waited for their food. "Cole was supposed to take me out."

Shawn chuckled. "Yeah right. Like hell I'd let some other guy take you."

She rolled her eyes again, not saying anything back. After a while, Tammy came back with their food, which was eaten in total silence. Shawn glanced at Sofia throughout the dinner, but she would never meet his gaze; she'd only either look down at her food, or past Shawn.

When they were finished eating, Shawn paid the bills, and the both of them headed out. "Wow. Nice dinner. Loved it. Can I go home now?" Sofia pleaded, and Shawn shook his head, opening the passenger door for her. Even though sarcasm was laced in her compliments, he grinned proudly, anyways.

"Not yet. There's still one more place..."