09

January 26, 1997
Rochester, New York
10:38 p.m.

"What the hell you mean Harlem, Georgia?" My father asked. I sighed and stated what I once said before. "Steven's funeral will be in Harlem, Georgia."

He shook his head. "You can't miss no more days of school! I think you starting to feel Rocky and Lord knows what the hell you'll be doing!" He fussed. I rolled my eyes without him looking.

"No! We're just friends!" My voice was high-pitched and he looked at me oddly. "You lying." He said. I sighed and turned around gathering my thoughts.

"Raven, you don't have to lie to me about anything. If you are, I can't stop you. You're going to be an adult in the next two weeks. And you're going to discover things for yourself," he spoke softly.

I nodded my head. "Yes me and him are together." I admitted. He nodded his head and clapped. "That's relieving. I was starting to think you were gay for a moment!" He said. I sucked my teeth and playfully pushed him.

"Forget you!" I laughed. "You can go to Georgia. As long as you're back by Sunday night." I thanked him and immediately went into my room to pack my clothes. Rocky was leaving tomorrow after school.

Rakim was scared of airplanes which I found understandable. He would be driving, while everyone else would fly and I'll be riding with him. The house phone began to ring and I quickly answered it.

"Hello?" I answered stuffing my suit case. "Baaaabyy?" Rakim slurred. I immediately knew he was drunk and that disgusted me. Music was heard in the back, sounded like a party.

"Rakim you're drunk." I said. "No! No! I am not! All these jawns tryna get with me, but I want you!" He laughed. I sighed and shook my head. "Where the hell are you?"

"49th! You wanna come?" I sucked my teeth. "No Rakim, I'm coming to get you." I said. A familiar female voice came on the phone. "Let me take you some place special," she whispered loud enough for me to hear.

"No! I don't wanna go no where with you!" Rakim yelled and the phone called ended. I went into my father's room and asked for his keys.

"Why?" He asked. I was going to he honest right now. I could do it. "Rakim is drunk, and he needs my help from some hooch." I said. He got his keys from his nightstand.

"Go save your man!" He joked. I laughed and grabbed my coat. I was in my pajamas and a big ole coat. I got into my father's truck and made my way toward 49th. It had to be at least a fifteen minute drive from where I lived.

Lots of cars filled the street as I rode down 49th. I turned on the hazard lights and just got out. I entered the house and it was wild. Girls was topless sniffing coke and their niggas watched them.

"Lord." I whispered to myself. I looked upstairs thinking that he would be in a bedroom somewhere. With whoever was on the phone. I made my way up the crowded stairs.

"No, I don't like this!" I heard Rakim say. I followed his voice to the last room and quickly opened it. Stephenie's mouth was attached to his manhood.

"What the hell?!" I yelled snatching her off by her hair. I don't know what came over me, but I started choking her. Watching her lose her breath amused me, so I kept going. "Fuck Rave! Don't kill her!" Rakim yelled.

I stood up and looked down at her desperate ass. "Steph, if I ever. Ever in your fuckin' life, see you close to him. I'm whooping your ass!" I yelled throwing a vase at her. It hit her in the head knocking her out cold.

Rakim seemed to sober up for that little moment and quickly grabbed my hand. He lead me out the house and he threw up on the lawn. "Fuck!" He groaned.