Chapter 13

The fun yet tiring day then came to an end.
As he walked me home, we chatted so much that we didn't realize we reached my house.
"Thanks so much for today, this is my best Christmas ever."
"Glad you enjoyed it," he scratched his back of the neck.
"Then, i'll get going. Be home safe," i waved at him.
But before entering my house doors, i decided.
I leaned close to him, then left a lipstick mark on his cheek.
Before he could react, i ran towards my house gate.
My heart was racing so fast.

*****

I couldn't stop smiling.
Laying on the bed with my foolish smile, reminiscing the earlier moment.
And, i wondered how he felt.

*****

A few days later, morning
I dragged my sleepy body out of my room, to a scene that my parents were sitting at the dining table with stern faces.
Dropping my body onto the chair," what's wrong?"
I was somehow ready for something, something bad.
"Baby, we.." my mum started.
"We may need to move to America," my dad finished.
"But.. we just.." i was speechless.
"Sorry but my company gave me a chance to be transferred to the America's branch and i didn't want to waste such a chance but, it'll be for.. it'll be quite permenant."
And, being a powerless figure in the family, i had to suck it up.

*****

I kept this as a secret from him, but not from my close buddies.
"Do you really have to go.." Jiyoon pouted.
"Ya, do you.." Habin followed.
"Sorry girls, i'll really miss you.." I hugged them so tightly.
"Remember to keep in touch ok?" Pinky out.
Pinky crossed, promised made.
I spent my last day in Korea with him, still with the secret.
We went to places we've been together, eating, playing, chatting.
Last stop was the park near my house.
We strolled, chatted, enjoyed the breeze, and the time we had left together.
"Oppa, have you.. ever regretted meeting me?"
"Why a sudden question?" He chuckled.
"Just curious, answer me."
He shook his head," nope, never. In fact, meeting you lightened my life."
"Really? Good to hear that," I smiled.
"You? Your answer?"
"Me?"
I shook my head," nope. I'm.."
I paused and turned to him,"grateful. Very. Just know that, thank you for being part of my life." I ended with a smile.
"Is this a sudden confession?" He chuckled.
"If you take it as it is."
I really didn't know how to break the news to him, then finally i thought of a way.

*****

I excused myself in the morning before the long flight to America.
Pressing the doorbell, i was rehearsing on how should i pass to him.
Holding the envelope with a carefully, honest letter in it, i was pacing up and down for an answer from the door.
The door clicked open and he was standing there, puzzled at my visit.
But his face was full of injuries.
"Oppa your face.."
He looked away.
"What happened?" I stepped forward to take a closer look but he stepped backward and away from me.
I sighed and stepped back again.
"Oppa i.. this is for you. Thank you and, goodbye."

*****

To: Jongkook Oppa
I.. well.. i don't know where to start. I guess you must be still surprised at this and at what i told you earlier. I'm sorry that i have to leave, and leaving this way. I really cannot face you with this news. But before i leave, i really want to let you know how i truly feel.
In the beginning, i hated you. Yes i do. You were scary, a bully and i just didn't want to have anything to do with you. But as the time we spent together increases, i realized, i like you. I really do. I'm always excited when you ask me out. And i'll look forward to that day. I was really really happy that we spent the only Christmas Eve i had in Korea together, and it'll be my favourite forever.
The bear from you, it'll be with me forever. Looking at it will remind me of you, and the times we had together, laughing, playing, studying.
Promise me to keep in touch, i'll write you a letter once i settled down in America. And please, don't forget me.
-Hyejin