Prologue

"Hello, Cornelia Chime speaking."
"H-Hi, Celia. It's me. How have you been?"
"Busy, Phoebe, busy. I've just finished a major case. I was wrapping up the post-trial paperwork when you rang, actually."
"Oh....if you're busy, I can ring back later..."
"Don't worry about it, Phoebe, it's almost done anyway. Besides, this is an international phone call,  and those can be really expensive. Anyway, how have you been? You haven't called for ages."
"Ah...well, about that...it was terrible! I was arrested, and I didn't even do it! Kill someone, I mean. But that prosecutor kept saying I did, even though I didn't, and it was terrible, I was so scared, and...and...oh, God, Celia, if it wasn't for that defence lawyer Junie recommended I'd....well... I wouldn't be calling you right now, Celia...."
"Oh God, Phoebe...if only I could have done something....you got a not guilty verdict though, didn't you?"
"D-Don't feel bad, Celia, you....you...well...even if you were here, there wouldn't have been much you could do for me, since you are a prosecutor."
"I could've helped with the investigation, or at least cheered you and your lawyer on in court though. After all, it'd be hard to defend someone under normal circumstances, but...."
"What is it, Celia? Is something worrying you?"
"You must have heard about it, Phoebe. The 'dark age of the law' that's been casting a shadow over America's court system for months now. It's been popping up in the Times a lot recently. False charges, forged evidence, manipulated witnesses, premature verdicts, corrupt attorneys, you name it."
"So y-y-you're saying they tried to prove me guilty even though they knew I was innocent?"
"....There's probably a good chance of that, yes. This whole business sounds like quite the legal nightmare, from what I've heard."
"Oh my...there's nothing like that happening over in Europe though, is there, Celia?"
"No, not here in England, nor anywhere else, as far as I know. Don't worry."
"Well then....what if...w-what if they called in people from overseas? Since foreign attorneys wouldn't have been corrupted by the dark age of the law stuff, they could make sure only the real criminals get declared guilty, and all the falsely accused people like me get proven innocent! After a while, they'd sort out that whole 'legal nightmare', right Celia? ...Celia?"
"Hmmmm....that is a good point...not a bad idea at all...Phoebe!"
"Y-Y-Yes, Celia?"
"Would you mind doing a bit of research for me?"
"A-About what?"
"An apartment or something for rent, preferably near your local prosecutor's office. The Inquisitor's coming to town."