Tulip Field

Prologue

                Chanson stood up from her chair and went out of her small flat in the outskirts of the District of Vanadium, carrying her precious working kit with her. She looked at the vendors as they started to set up their products on the sides of Pentagon Street. Her work as an investigative journalist really took a toll on her as she saw everything in a different way.

                ‘Looks like…this election isn’t about having a leader anymore…it’s business with all the vote-buying and all this instant bazaar during the elections,’ she thought to herself, mentally counting the vendors that had set up outside her flat. ‘Seventy-nine…looks like we got two more dozens this year…’

                “PLEASE VOTE AMELIA HAWKINS FOR CHANCELLOR!!” shouted a man wearing a green tee under a dark-blue vest and dark-green cargo pants while giving out a flyer with a rich-looking woman around her forties on it.

                “Are you voting this year?” asked a passer-by to a man leaning against the lamp post.

                “Pfft! Are you kidding? It’s not like I could get any richer if I vote,” answered the leaning man.

                A rather expensive car passed through the small crowded Pentagon Street, sweeping away the people toward the sides. Shortly after that, the media followed the car. It was Chancellor Stanley Hooper, the current chancellor of the District of Vanadium.

                “Chancellor Hooper,” a reporter approached him, but the security guards were quick to react and pushed away the media. Still, the crowd of media personnel were surrounding where the chancellor entered, Vanadium Elementary School, where the Mendeleevian Yearly National Elections are happening.

                In fact, all of the schools in Mendeleev are mandatorily ordered by the Supreme High to conduct the elections every year.

                “Tsk, that dirty bastard…just how much of our tax goes into his pocket?” asked another passer-by.

                The other person laughed, “Every single bit of our money goes into his pocket…even the tape we use to patch the torn bills.”

                Chanson scoffed at joke. She walked back into her flat until she bumped with an unknown neighbor.

                “Sorry,” was all the hooded man said before he vanished into the crowd.

                Chanson looked at the very suspicious man…until someone grabbed her arm and yanked her away from her place and was dragged into a small car.

                “WAIT,” Chanson called out. “Why are you pulling me?”

                There was no answer…until she heard it.

                BOOOOOOOM!!!

‘Wait…my place!’ Chanson thought to herself as she saw a puff of gray in the sky.