26

Tori

     "I hate you," I spit, folding my arms across my chest.
     Loki laughs, standing in his cell. He stares at me, mischievous thoughts filling his mind.
     "It was only a joke," he says.
     "A rude one,"
     "That's the point!"
     I roll my eyes and turn to leave the dungeon. Loki's laughter softens, but the grin on his face becomes bigger.
     "Yes, walk away. It is not like you have been here for two hours, or anything." Loki teases.
     "Hey, I've been bored," I retort. "What am I supposed to do?"
     "Oh hush," he giggles. "It was only for my enjoyment. Now, continue your lecture."
     "Oh, what was it about?" I ask, tapping my chin. "Ah yes, it was about how you had your butt kicked by the Hulk."
     "I hate you too, Victoria." Loki mutters, his face flushing with anger.
     I stick my tongue out at him and place my hand on my hip. He scowls and bares his teeth.
"C'mon, Fallen Prince, I'm only joking." I giggle. "You are so pitiful."
"Shut up, you mewling quim!" he shouts, his clenched fists by his sides.
     "Watch your language, Loki," I smirk.
     "I am a god, I can do whatever I please."
     "And I come here to speak with you,"
     The god of mischief looks away, staring at the ground. His mouth is slightly opened, debating on what to say. His eyes dart back and forth from the floor and me. I raise an eyebrow, questioning his actions.
     "Why?" Loki finally whispers. "Why do you see me?"
"Because you let me," I reply. "Plus, Thor is always doing something."
"Thor," Loki repeats in less than a whisper.
"And so is everyone else."
"I see," he mumbles. "That is why you have come every day for a while now."
"How long do you think I've been here, Loki? Like, in Asgard."
"Possibly for a few weeks,"
My eyes widen. I stare into the cell, the yellow barrier tinting the man inside. I smooth out my blue dress and listen to Loki.
"I wouldn't be surprised if you left soon," he says. "You have been here for a while and it is most likely safe enough for you to go back to Midgard."
"I hope," I respond, brushing a lock of hair that escaped my Dutch braid behind my ear.
We stand in silence. I eye the floor as Loki studies me. I bite my tongue and wait for him to speak.
"Victoria, you are not telling me something," Loki explains. "What is troubling you?"
"I-I've been having a lot of nightmares," I answer. "I don't really want to talk about it."
"Of course you want to talk about it," Loki says softly.
"I'm just worried," I spit. "That's all."
"Well then," Loki breathes, standing back from the barrier. "Now what?"
     "I don't know," I mutter. "I—"
     I am interrupted by Asgardian guards stomping throughout the dungeon. They eventually come into view, showing that they are accompanied by Frigga and Thor.
     "Victoria," Frigga sadly smiles. "We have news for you."
     I look back and forth from Frigga and Loki, an eyebrow raised.
     "What is the news?" I ask.
     "You can go back to Midgard," Thor says. "You can go home."
     I stop all of my movement. My arms stay by my sides and I stare at Thor with widened eyes. Home. I can see Steve.
     "Home," I mumble. "Now?"
     "Yes, dear," Frigga says, lightly giggling.
     "I-I don't have to wait," I exclaim. "I can go home!"
     "I'll let you say goodbye and you can be on your way." she says, stepping out of the dungeon with Thor and the guards.
     I turn my head to face Loki. His eyes are sad, watching Frigga as she goes. I smile at him to catch his attention.
     "I guess this is the last time we'll see each other," I mumble.
     "I doubt that," Loki replies, his eyes darting to me.
     I laugh, but it quickly fades.
     "Thank you, Loki."
     "For what?"
     "Being kind to me,"
     "I should be the one thanking you," he says. "You have actually spoken to me. I cannot be any more grateful."
     "Loki, before I go," I begin. "Don't forget that you do have a heart. You may not see it now, but you care about others. And don't do anything stupid."
     Loki snorts. "Since when would I do that?"
     "Oh, probably soon."
     "Well," he stutters. "Farewell, Victoria."
     "Bye, Loki," I say, slowly departing the dungeon.
      "Thank you," I hear him mumble.
      I smile and leave the dungeon to go back to my home — Midgard.