10

Tori

I rest with my head on Steve's chest. Normally, we would be sleeping peacefully by now. But both of our minds are racing. He strokes my hair and I interwind my fingers with his other hand.
"Tori?" Steve whispers.
"Yes, Steve?" I ask.
"I'm so sorry," he mumbles.
"Honey," I start. "You've apologized so many times. You know that we both made a mistake. But we're okay now."
"I just don't want to lose you for such a stupid action."
"Steve,"
"That's what my nightmares are about," he admits. "Sometimes, I don't freak out. I do internally, but you don't wake up when I wake up unless it's about you dying. I've lost you in every way that I can think of in my dreams. I'm scared that one of them is going to come true."
"I don't want to lose you either, but those fears are going to haunt us."
"I love you," he says. "Those words don't even express how much I do."
"I love you too, Steve,"

•••

I wake up randomly in the middle of the night. Not from a nightmare, thankfully, but for no apparent reason. It is still pitch black outside, clearly showing that it's the middle of the night. I glance at the clock - 3:14.
     I slowly crawl out of bed, making sure that I don't wake Steve. I quickly peck his cheek and tiptoe out of the room. The wooden floor is cold on my feet, but I don't care. I wander the dimly lit hallways, glancing at every aspect of them.
I go into the kitchen part of the quinjet. The refrigerator glows in the darkness, causing me to hatch an idea. I quietly grab a small glass and fill it with water. I sip the water and take it to my bedroom.
I sigh of relief when I see Steve sleeping soundly. He is sprawled on the bed, definitely a different position than when I left. I set the glass cup on a small table and sit in the chair next to it. I am suddenly wide awake with nothing to do.
I snatch my documents that Director Fury have me and study them. I mainly stare at the headshot of Henry Chandler. His eyes had so much light in them when I met him in person, unlike the photograph. I glance back and forth from Steve and Henry.
Steve is the love of my life, soulmate even. I don't know why I'm comparing him to an evil man. I look down at the picture. He seems terrifying, but he was so kind when I met him.
I am drawn out of my thoughts by Steve flinching in the bed. He reaches over for something, but he doesn't find it. His eyes are sealed shut and he is shivering. I place the paper on the table and put my hands on the arms of the chair to stand.
"Bucky!" Steve whispers, bolting upright from the bed.
My heart breaks right when his name escapes Steve's lips. I stand from the chair and rush to the bedside. I take Steve's face in my hands and press my lips to his. He slowly kisses back, putting a trembling hand on my back.
"Hey, hey," I coo, wrapping my arms around him. "It's alright."
"It was Bucky," he stutters. "H-H-He fell from the train."
"I know, it's okay," I say, stroking his tousled blonde hair.
     "Tori," he asks, taking my face in his hands. "Why are you up this late at night?"
     "I couldn't sleep," I explain. "We need to go to sleep."
     "Yeah,"
     I slide underneath the sheets and put my head on Steve's chest. We hold hands and drift back to sleep together.