chapter 2

Lily paced the waiting room, biting at her nails. She was worried about Maria. Rosalina and Maria were the only people left that she cared about in her lonely life. She knew they didn't like the fact that her father had left a large part of the assets in her name, and, because of that, they hated her.

She didn't have any interest in the money. Hell, she didn't even have the confidence of Maria to spend over $300 at once. She always stayed home and never went to any parties and pretty much kept to her self. Apparently, that wasn't a good enough reason not to hate her.

Before he passed, Rosalina convinced Lily's father to have her home schooled, resulting in her not having any friends besides the elderly maids and butler. Maria always brought her down by telling her how ugly and useless she was, but they were still her family and she loved them.

Arthur approached Lily and sat in the seat next to her.

"Everything's going to be fine," Arthur spoke softly, clearing his throat. "Maria's stable and should be out by the end of the week."

Lily nodded her head, but didn't say anything. That was the first time Arthur actually spoke to her. Whenever they saw each other at the estate, he wouldn't even grace her with an uttered 'hello'.

Arthur was a very handsome man and, just like other girls, she was fascinated with him. Lily knew he was Maria's boyfriend and that he was of limits, so she tried to push away the silly fascination.

As Lily went back into her thoughts, Arthur stared at her. He couldn't believe that a woman with a face as innocent and beautiful as hers could do something so evil, but he knew the true and she was going to pay for her crime. He was going to make sure it.

-two months later-

"Lily, dear," Rosalina called to Lily through the speaker on the wall. "Come here this instant."

Lily quickly made her way to her step mother's room, not wanting to upset her.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Arthur Lington has offered you a marriage proposal and I want you to accept it." Rosalina Grey smirked as she saw Lily's head pop up. Her geen eyes, which reminded Rosalina of Lily's fool of a father, Terrence Grey, filled with confusion.

"I can't do that," Lily looked as if she were distressed. "Arthur is Maria's fiancee."

Rosalina set her tea cup on the plate with a small 'clink' before turning narrowed eyes at her step daughter.

"Maria and Arthur are just friends." She slowly stired her tea as she continued to glower at Lily in detest as she dared to go against her wishes. "They've both decided it's best they go their separate ways since he's in love with..." Rosalina looked Lily up and down in distaste. "You."

"But, Rosali-"

"Mother's right, Lily." Maria stated, interrupting Lily's protests. "Arthur is in love with you, not me. He told me months ago and we've been split since then. It was a mutual thing and we've been doing great as friends."

"But-" Lily is interrupted once more by Rosalina.

"You should do this," she stated, the next words she spoke were bitter on her tounge. "Your father, bless his soul, would want you happy and you deserve to be happy with the one you love."

Turning to Maria, Lily grabbed her hands much to the former's disgust.

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" She asked, squeezing her hand. "I- I don't have to-"

"Oh, I'm sure, baby sister." Maria smiled sweetly, squeezing Lily's hands in return.

~·~·~

So, Lilly accepted the proposal. She was ecstatic that her stepmother and sister accepted her and allowed her to marry her first crush and the love of her life.

The marriage was 2 and a half weeks after that day Rosalina informed Lily of the proposal and was done in a small church. The days in between were spent on setting up the wedding and letting Lily and Arthur really get to know each other.

It was a very private ceremony with only Arthur's parents, Mr and Mrs lington, his sister, Brittney, his best friends, Charlie and Connor, and some other relatives on Arthur's side. Maria and Rosalina were the only two who attended the ceremony on Lily's side.

After the ceremony, they were going to have the reception in the grand ballroom of Arthur's house. On the way to the reception, Arthur turned to Lily and smiled gently at her.

"After this, we're going to head out for our honeymoon." He spoke softly, rubbing her cheek with his thumb.

"Where exactly is our honeymoon?" Lilly asked, leaning in his palm and smiling shyly.

Arthur just smiled mysteriously at her and gave her a lingering kiss on her lips. That told Lily all she needed to know.

It was a surprise.

~·~·~

Arthur couldn't take his eyes off of his newly wed bride. She looked so beautiful in her wedding dress, her blonde hair was tied in an elegent bun and her doe eyes are glittering with excitement and as an aura of pure innocent took over. Arthur knew her true personality though, and he was not going to buy her act.

The ballroom was filled with faces unfamiliar to Lily. All of them were businessmen with their wives or girlfriends. It seemed more like a business function than a party celebrating their marriage.

Aurther's family was the best. She met his sister, a bubbly young woman around her age, who absolutely loved talking about her university life and the boys she met there.

Dinner was a quiet affair where the topic stayed on business. It bothered Lily, but she didn't bring it up.

"May I have this dance, my beautiful lady?" Lily looked up only to laugh as she saw her husband in a low bow.

"Why, yes you may, good sir." She took his hand and let him guide her to the dance floor.

They danced for few songs before saying goodnight to the guests and taking off for their honeymoon.

Their driver took them to their private jet which they took to an island. It was their personal island which Arthur had bought as a wedding gift for them. On their honeymoon, they started a new happily ever after together. It was the happiest moment of their lives.

At least, that's what Lily thought, but Arthur had the plan him and Maria had planned on his mind.

He was starting to question it, to doubt it.

He was starting to regret agreeing to it. (Thank you XxxMadderHatterxxX
for editing this chapter and making it more interesting 🙂)