2.6

CHAPTER SIX

We're A Time Bomb

- - - - -

Ana stopped in front of the side doors that led to the lab Fury, Bruce and Tony were inside of. She lifted her hand that held her keycard, unintentionally hitting it a little too hard against the glass panel on the wall, causing the surface to crack. She looked to her right at Steve, who didn't seem fazed by it, and opened the door. He stormed inside, putting down the HYDRA weapon they found earlier on a nearby table with a loud bang. Fury, Bruce and Tony all turned to face Steve as he interrupted their grilling conversation.

Having heard Tony's question for Fury, Steve spoke up. "Phase Two is S.H.I.E.L.D. uses the Cube to make weapons." He said and turned to Tony, "Sorry, computer was moving a little slow for me."

Fury, now realising there was no point in dodging their questions, started to explain. "Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're making..." Fury was interrupted when Tony moved the display towards his line of sight, showing him the plans for classified weapons powered by the Tesseract.

"I'm sorry, Nick. What were you lying?"

"I was wrong, Director. The world hasn't changed a bit." Steve said.

At that moment, Thor and Natasha walked into the lab. Natasha kept her eyes on Banner specifically after she found that Loki's play was the Hulk. "Did you know about this? Michaels?" Bruce asked, looking from Natasha to Ana.

Ana shook her head firmly. "I don't have the clearance..." She began to say, but stopped when Bruce hit his fist against the table.

At the sight of his slight outburst, Natasha stepped forward and calmly asked, "You want to think about removing yourself from this environment, Doctor?"

Bruce scoffed out a chuckle. "I was in Kolkata. I was pretty well removed."

"Loki's manipulating you." She said.

"And you've been doing what exactly?"

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you." Natasha smirked slightly.

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D. is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction." Bruce demanded, using his reading glasses to point at the blueprints on the display.

Fury glanced at Ana discretely then pointed at Thor, "Because of him."

"Me?" Thor asked stunned, pointing to himself.

"Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that levelled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned." Fury elaborated. Ana looked down at her hands, seeing the familiar energy spark. She clenched them into fists, calming her breathing. This was not the time. It seemed as if the closer she was to the sceptre, the more unstable her focus was. And that scared her.

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet." Thor told Fury.

"But you're not the only people out there, are you?" Fury questioned, looking at each of them as to make a point. "And, you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, that can't be controlled."

Ana shifted in her position. Sweat lined her forehead. She could barely think straight. "So we're controlling people now? People you think could be a threat to humanity? People like us?"