Chapter 1

Yixing giggled as the butterfly he had been chasing landed lightly on his nose, tickling him. The insects' delicate wings fluttered and it took off, flying towards the patch of sweet pea flowers growing nearby.

Yixing watched it fly away with an amazed look on his face. "Did you see that, mama? Did you see that butterfly?!" He raced to where his mother is sitting under the shade of the massive maple tree, holding out a handful of flowers for her which he had picked a few moments before.

His mother smiled and taking the flowers handed to her, she pressed a handkerchief to his forehead, helping him wipe the sweat that was beading at his forehead and beginning to trickling down his face.

"I did. It is very beautiful, isn't it darling?" Yixing settled down next to his mother and leaned in close.

"Why are their wings full of patterns, mama?" He asked curiously, allowing his mother to draw him into her lap. "Butterflies carry wishes and dreams to the writer of the universe, Xing-ah. They carry our hopes and desires to the writer and the writer hears them, so they can be granted."

His mother smiled down at the earnest little face in her lap and stroked his sweat drenched hair gently. "Really, mama?" Yixing sat up, eyes wide with disbelief. "Yes, really. But he only grants the wishes of certain people. The ones who are courageous and are kind to others. Yixing, my darling, do you want your wishes to be granted?"

Yixing nodded his head and then rested it on his mother's shoulder. "Then remember, always, have courage and be kind." She whispered it like a secret into his ear and he nodded solemnly.

"I will, mama."

The clattering of wheels on flagstones break the sedate mood and Yixing lept to his feet to run, his mother close behind him, laughter and happiness brimming to show clearly on both their faces.

"Papa is back!" The lord's feet have barely touched the stones when he was met with an armful of the ten year old boy. He picked up his beloved son and swung him around, a smile spreading over his face. "How have you been?"

Yixing clung to his father, squeezing tightly, and kissed his cheek.

"We missed you." Yixing's mother smiled demurely at her husband, despite wanting to throw herself into his arms like Yixing had done.

"Get off me now, son, and give your mother a chance to look at me."

Yixing stiffened when the spell took hold and pushed himself away from his father in an almost violent fashion. "Cheng! What have you done?!"

Lord Cheng stared at his son in horror, "I didn't mean it that way son. I meant it as a joke!" Yixing whimpered as his mother engulfed him in a hug.

"It's okay. No harm done but we must be careful."

Yixing recovered quickly and goes to cling onto his father again. "You've brought me something haven't you, papa? You always do."

The harsh lines of worry on Lord Cheng's face soften when he looked into his son's earnest face. "I have. But shall we go inside first? I'm starving." Yixing giggled when his father swept him into one of his strong arms, wrapping the other around his wife to lead them inside.

---------

Lord Cheng dropped his son onto the chair at the of the dining table before settling next to him, his wife pressed close to his side. The servants appear to place bowls of steaming pumpkin soup in front of the family. Yixing dug into the soup as fast as he can, the soup coming to run down to his chin as it spilled out of his mouth, eager for his father's present.