Chapter 38

Chapter 38

*Three Years Later*

"White? You've got to be kidding me. No way."

"But it's traditional!"

"I would not be seen dead in something like that."

"Vi–"

"Draco!"

Theresa and Violet turned to Draco, who took a rather large step backward. "I have no comment."

Violet growled at him and looked at Theresa, who was gesturing at a huge group of white dresses. "Look, we all know that traditionally, I should wear that," she gestured broadly at a group of off-white dresses, "and that color looks terrible on me."

Theresa crossed her arms. "So you're going to wear black?"

"No. But something other than white."

An employee came over. "Can I help you all find something?"

"No," Theresa said at the same time that Violet said, "Yes, actually." Theresa narrowed her eyes Violet's way. "Do you have any dresses that aren't white?"

"There are bridesmaid dresses farther back, if that's what you're looking for." She began to show them back.

"Bride, actually," Theresa said mockingly. "She doesn't want to wear white on her wedding day." Violet rolled her eyes. It wasn't Theresa's decision to make.

The employee nodded. "It wouldn't go well with her skin tone for sure. But we can pick out a style and get it ordered in whatever color combination you'd like."

Violet smirked at Theresa and nodded. "That'd be great." Then she turned to Draco and smiled. "You can go if you want. We'll be probably," she glanced sidelong at Theresa, "four hours, maybe longer. It depends on if she finds–"

"This is it!" Theresa screeched, making the employee cringe. But Violet and Draco were used to it, and Violet just rolled her eyes again. He chuckled. "This dress would look perfect on you! Don't you think, Draco?"

Glancing at her, he kissed Violet's cheek. "I think I will go. Potter's been wanting to meet with me; I think I'll drop by his office."

She frowned. "Why would Harry want to meet with you?"

"Probably about my parents."

Her mouth formed an O as she nodded. His parents were fugitives, proven Death Eaters in hiding. If anyone would know where they were, it was Draco, but he didn't. They'd moved since he left. He didn't know if they even knew where he was.

"Okay. See you then."

He Apparated to the entrance of the Ministry, and since he worked there, walked right in. Aurors were on level three, Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

Passing several people that knew him, Draco nodded at some and glowered at others. The ones he glared at were those who openly argued against Victor Ress's articles, and did their very best to keep him out of the paper. They always failed of course, as Theresa was now chief editor and had the final say in everything that did or did not make it into the paper. She did, however, allow some letters to pass through, which Ress addressed in the following article.

Only a month ago, Violet had reconnected with her brother, and then only because she was recently engaged and felt he had a right to know. He'd been spending time with his parents, who weren't as bad as he had first thought, and agreed with them that Violet's choice to marry Draco was as horrible as her decision to stay with him four years back. As a result, none of them were coming to the wedding, and she wasn't in communication with them.