Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"As long as you're not becoming one of them," hissed Vincent.

Violet set her jaw. Vincent wanted her to join the Order, but Draco wanted her to stay with him. She wanted to stay with him. But she also wanted to be with her brother. "Let me think. Give me time, and let me think. I'm not even of age yet, Vincent."

"Which is why you're staying with me."

"Which is why I'm not going to condemn my friend to death by forcing him to abandon me," she said, scowling. "I'm sorry for bothering you. I'll send you a letter sometime soon, once you've had some time to think."

She walked out of the room, arms firmly crossed. "Draco?" He wasn't there. Her pulse quickened. "Draco!" He hadn't left? She paled. He hadn't! "I'm leaving, Vincent! I need to find Draco!"

"Wait!" He ran out to her. "Be careful, alright? I don't want you to get hurt."

"Fine." She walked out, racing down the stairs and out the front door. "Draco!" The Dark Lord would kill him! Why had he left?

There. The Knight Bus. She raced down and just missed it. Shoot. It wouldn't be back this way, even with a raised wand, for ten minutes. She needed something else.

"Here," Vincent said, handing her a bag of floo powder. "Inside St. Mungo's there's a floo system that connects to Malfoy Manor."

"Thank you." She smiled and gave him a hug.

"This doesn't mean I'm okay with it. I just don't want Death Eaters after you."

"I know." She grinned.

Ten minutes later she flooed into Malfoy Manor and ran to the front door. "Draco!"

"Violet?" Narcissa called. Violet turned and ran to her. "Where's Draco?"

"I don't know. He disappeared."

"That is not good at all." She dropped what she was doing and ran out, drawing her wand. "Check around the back–I'll get the front."

Violet ran to the back door, then paused and looked upstairs. Although she could hear someone up there, the door to the guest room was closed and she assumed it was Bellatrix.

However, she walked up the stairs and to Draco's bedroom. "Draco!"

He was watching out the window, with his back to the door, completely silent.

"Your mother is beside herself downstairs! Why did you leave?"

He shook his head and turned around. "You lied to me. Everything you've said has been a lie."

"What?" She gaped at him. "I've never lied to you!"

"You hate Death Eaters, you said it yourself. You hate what we do, and how we do it, and you hate us." No. She hated how he included himself when he clearly hated them.

"You misunderstood."

"Did I? Is that what you're going to tell me?" He shook his head. "How stupid do you think I am?"

"Not now, Draco. I'm in a fight with my brother and I don't need to be in one with you too."

"So then I should just apologize? I'm sorry I think the world would be better without Muggleborns." She flinched. "I'm sorry I'm loyal to my family." A wince. "I'm sorry I made you hate me. Is this what you want to hear?"

"No. The world would be a lot better if more people were loyal to their families. But you misunderstood me. I meant that I hated Death Eaters–stop! Listen!–I hate people who kill because they believe that they're superior. That's what the Death Eaters as a whole do. Kill Muggleborns, their inferiors."