Chapter 27

Chapter 27

That was the last time she saw him that year. After New Years' he vanished, and none of the professors asked about him.

Neville tried to convince Violet to come back to the D.A.; they were losing members every day to scare tactics, kidnappings, and other random occurrences. They needed the support.

Violet didn't accept. She was loyal to those whom she loved and knew loved her. No one in the D.A. fit those credentials, although she had forgiven Neville. After a long discussion, it had come out that he'd tripped her on his toes as he turned her around, and they fell forward onto each other just so. He was extremely apologetic about having kissed her and expressed extensively how he was in love with Luna and wouldn't have done anything like kiss another girl.

"Where's Draco?" People would ask her, or Crabbe and Goyle. But none of them yielded an answer. Not because they didn't know, but because they didn't deem any of the askers worthy of the information. They knew where he was.

He was home. Preparing for the battle that everyone was certain would occur. Just where it would occur, no one knew for sure.

But Violet stayed back, played her part, fed the Dark Lord information on anything she could. Prayed that none of it got Vincent killed.

He's looking for something. I don't know what. He won't tell anyone. The wand maker is here, but it doesn't seem like he knows anything. It's getting very dangerous.

Obviously it's dangerous. It's never not been dangerous.

Violet rolled her eyes as she wrote. Enchanted parchment that linked her to him; each had a piece, and when they wrote on it the previous writing faded from existence. It was the safest way to communicate, and a spell Violet had created, so no one knew about it but them.

But especially now, Draco wrote back. His writing took on a bit of a calligraphic note, and was especially beautiful to look at when he wasn't rushed. However right now he was not crafting his letters; he was spilling them. Now we must be very careful and take every precaution. As one, I ask that you have a place in mind to retreat to should the battle be at Hogwarts.

Unlikely, unless Harry Potter decides to come here. And why would he? We've got Snape and the Carrows, not to mention other Death Eaters and Slytherins as security. As safe places go, this wouldn't be at the top of my list if I were him.

I'm taking a precaution. Do you have a place to go?

I suppose I'd head down to Hogsmeade and Disapparate somewhere.

Where?

Somewhere safe.

Violet, tell me you aren't thinking of my house. It's as far from safe as you could get.

Actually, the Order can't get in, and no one who would be there has any reason to attack me. Besides that, I could get food, clothes, and a bed. Sounds like a safe house to me.

She could practically hear him mumbling in exasperation.

You will not be going anywhere remotely related to this! I will not be there to

To protect me? We've covered this. I do not need your protection. You've been trying for years, but I don't need it.

Years? What are you talking about?

When I was transferred, you made the majority of students leave me alone. I'm not sure how you did it, but I've had several students not even look at me since. I've asked them what the matter was and they mentioned you.

I see. When was that?

Last winter. But it was this fall before I cared to think about what it meant. I have to get to class. Write me later; people will talk if we never exchange letters.