Old Friends

Cuno clenched his fist. His next words had only the slightest edge of pain in them.

"We would have burned her if you brought her back," he said. "Sent her off with some class.

"No," said Thom. "She wouldn't have wanted you to see what it did to her...what it left of her. Not you."

Somehow that last concern hurt worse than anything.

"I loved her too," said Cuno. He glared at Thom. "More than you."

"I know."

"And I was grateful to you," said Cuno. "Because I was..."

Silence stretched between them.

"Was?" asked Thom. "You got it under control?"

"A bit," said Cuno.

"Enough?"

"What does it matter? She's dead. You vanished." Cuno wiped his eyes. "I thought whatever got her had you too. You let me think that."

"You got it under control enough to punch me?"

Cuno scoffed. At least Thom was making some attempt.

"You got yours in check enough to let me?" Cuno asked.

"I don't know."

"Well at least you're honest, Joe."

Thom grimaced at that but didn't say anything.

Cuno rubbed his temples. Better get back to the job. Concentrating on that would help, and there wasn't a whole lot of time. There was no point focusing on the past. He still had questions to ask.

But he had to know.

"What was it?" asked Cuno. "What got her"

"Does it matter?"

Cuno glared at him until Thom bowed his head.

"An animal one," said Thom. "Looked like a boar. Could change size. Crept up on us."

"Did you kill it?" asked Cuno.

Thom shook his head. "It almost killed me. I couldn't go back if I wanted to. I managed to get to a town, where they helped me get better. By then so much time had gone by...I thought it might be better to let you all think I was gone."

Cuno nodded, as if he understood. "And you came here and met the lovely Emera."

Thom stood up. "If you hurt her-"

Note: Not much to say about this one.

If you enjoyed it then please consider giving it a vote/comment. I truly enjoy this series and these are some of my favourite characters. I would like to see other  people enjoying them as well. 

As always, thanks for reading. :)