six

The next few days drag by, my days boring and lonely without the two people who are becoming increasingly important in my life. The highlights of my day were the texts that Ashton sent me, the goofy pictures of animals or stupid jokes that never failed to make me smile. It amazes me just how attached I've become to Ashton and Maisie, never being one to really be in a relationship before.

Sure, I'd kissed a few guys and went on a date or two, but none of them cared enough about me to try and be with me. It hurt, more than I would like to admit, but I just shoved it in the back of my head and tried my best to ignore it.

Ashton changed that for me. There was something in his smile, something so bright and so full of happiness that it leaked into his eyes and filled all the features in his face. It called to me, pulled me to him in a way that I had never been connected to someone in my life. It was that something in his features that made me trust him, somewhere deep inside me something happened and I trusted Ashton. I trusted him to not crush my hope and to be that person I've always been longing to be with.

My brain tells me that I'm going to be let down, that I'm unlovable and that I'm just setting myself up for disaster, but I take a deep breath and push the thought away. This could be my chance at love, with a man who seems entirely too capable to provide that love.

--

Friday dawns rainy and cold, but I don't let it dampen my spirits because I'm positive Ashton will provide enough energy and life to make up for the weather. The severe cramps in my stomach and the pounding in my head beg to differ though, my own body fighting against my heart for what it desires the most.

Luckily, I have the day off, my plans to sleep in till noon and relax before my date ruined when I'm startled awake mid-morning, my body racked with waves of pain. I drag myself out of bed and into the bathroom, cursing Mother Nature for her untimely arrival of my monthly torture.

Unlike most girls, whose symptoms can be easily managed, my genes always seem to work against me and leave me bed ridden for the first day or two of my period; the severe cramps and back pain worsened by the nausea and headaches that always seem to accompany them.

I lay in bed most of the day, a heating pad lain across my belly while I curl up in my blankets, a constant stream of Disney movies on the TV. The cramps ebb for a few moments after I take some pain reliever, my eyes blinking shut as I allow myself to catch up on the sleep that had been stolen away from me this morning.

The hours drift by as I nap, a gentle knock on my door pulling me out of my sleepy haze. I drape the blanket around my shoulders, cuddling myself into the plush material as I slowly shuffle towards the door. My mouth stretches into a yawn as I twist the doorknob, pulling the door open as I drowsily blink.

"Elsie?" His voice pulls me from my daze, my eyes startling open as a muffled curse slips past my lips.

"Ashton," I sigh, his hazel eyes laced with concern as he takes in my messy figure. "I didn't forget about our date, I swear, I just've felt awful since I woke up and I fell back asleep before I could text you." I explain, my voice groggy and tinged with a rasp as I speak.

"You can come in if you want," I add on hesitantly, biting down on the chapped skin of my lip as I take a step back to allow him in. He steps into my apartment, sliding his shoes off his feet and his jacket off his shoulders before turning back to me.

"How are you feeling now?" Ashton asks gently, his hand reaching out to tuck the hair that had fallen out of my ponytail behind my ear.

"Mm," I hum, "Been better." I mumble with a shrug, his features softening as he appraises me.