four

I save his number into my phone, restraining myself from adding an emoji next to his name in my phone. The next 30 minutes drag by, my mind wandering to Ashton as I mindlessly scroll through my Instagram feed, not paying attention to the pictures I'm scrolling past.

The warm silence that had descended over the house is broken by a small cry, my legs unfolding from beneath me as I drop my phone onto the couch and rush up the stairs and to Maisie's room. I push open the door quietly, my eyes falling on the teary eyed, trembling little girl.

"I want daddy," Maisie cries, the smooth skin of her chin creasing into wrinkles as her lips shake and fat tears roll down her cheeks. Concern makes similar creases across my forehead as I step towards her, sitting down on the edge of the bed and pulling Maisie into my lap.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" I ask gently, her head burrowing itself into my chest as she cries, small whimpers slipping out of her throat and muffling themselves in the material of my shirt. "Monsters come in my sleep." She tells me shakily, her usually happy green eyes dimmed to more of a gray as she looks up at me.

"Well, I'm here now and I'll protect you, alright? Want me to lay down with you till your daddy gets home?" Maisie nods quickly, her chubby fist swiping at her eyes as she crawls back under her covers and to the far side of the bed. I slide in next to her, thankful that I'm wearing leggings and a sweater so that I won't be uncomfortable.

"No one's gonna hurt you, darling. You're safe." I reassure her, her face softening in relief as she lets her eyes close, her body sliding over until she is curled up against me. I shift onto my side, laying my arm over her body and holding her close to me while I pull the covers over us with my free hand. I rub small circles on her back, her small breaths evening out as she falls back asleep, her breathing a gentle noise that lulls me into a sleepy state as well.

The warm darkness of the room filled with soft light from the plastic stars on her ceiling and from the nightlight in the corner drags me deeper under until I fall asleep, completely forgetting where I am and what I'm supposed to be doing and only worrying about the sleeping body curled up against me.

-

"Daddy, I wake her up yet?" A faint voice cuts through the fog of sleep but I fight it, much too warm and content in my current state of slumber to submit to the voice and wake up. "Pwease daddy?" The voice is getting closer and louder until I am startled awake by a small body jumping on top of mine.

"Morning Elsie!" Maisie squeals, a chuckle coming from behind her at the groan that falls from my lips. I blink a few times, focusing on the bouncing child next to me before looking around the room that I'm in, not fully comprehending what's going on.

"I found you two all snuggled up last night and didn't have the heart to wake you." Ashton supplies, filling in the gaps in my memories from the night before. The last thing I remember is comforting Maisie after her nightmare and a brief flash of lips upon my forehead, but whether that part was real or part of a dream I couldn't tell.

"M'sorry, didn't mean to invade your house," I mumble, turning my body towards Ashton as my words fade into a yawn. "It's no problem," He assures me, "Was the least I could do after having you watch that little munchkin with no notice." He adds on with a chuckle, sending me a warm smile with which I return with a sleepy smile of my own.

"Thank you," I tell him softly. "You looked too cute for me to wake you up and kick you out," He teases, his hazel eyes reading serious as he looks at me. My cheeks flush as I look down, trying to keep a smile from stretching onto my lips.

"Do you like waffles?" Ashton asks, the sweet smell wafting into the room and the sticky syrup on Maisie's cheeks being made clear by his question. "Is that even a question?" I scoff, pulling myself out of Maisie's bed and twisting my tangled strands into a messy ponytail. Ashton chuckles before gesturing for me to follow him, a sticky hand sliding into mine and pulling me from the room and down the stairs.

"Did you help your daddy make these?" I ask Maisie when we get downstairs, gesturing at the waffles that Ashton hands me a plate off. She nods proudly, giving me a toothy grin as I pour some syrup and dump some strawberries onto my breakfast.

I take a bite, letting out a hum of approval as the sweet food hits my tongue. "I'm gonna have to hire you to make me breakfast every morning, sweet pea. Would you do that?" I ask Maisie teasingly before popping another bite into my mouth.

The toddler contemplates it for a minute before shaking her head no. "I can't leave daddy, he need me. You come live here instead." She tells me, earning a laugh from both me and Ashton in response. "Let's not jump the gun there Maisie bug. I haven't even asked Elsie on a date yet." Ashton tells her, his voice faltering and his cheeks flushing a deep red as he realizes what he had just said.

"I- uh..." He stammers out, his words stumbling over his tongue as he rubs at the back of his neck, gaze flitting nervously between me and his grinning daughter. "You supposed to say yes," Maisie tells me with a nudge, giving me a pointed look before looking at her sheepish father, Ashton's lip pulled between his teeth as he looks at me.

I throw Ashton a wink before turning to Maisie and leaning down to whisper in her ear, taking notice of Ashton's lack of subtlety as he leans closer to try and hear what I'm telling her. I finish, her head whipping towards me as she lets out a squeal bouncing down from her seat and dancing over towards her father.

"She say yes daddy, she say yes!" Maisie shouts excitedly as Ashton's head turns to me, his hazel eyes blown wide with surprise and happiness as his lips split into a dimply grin. I glance down at my lap, suddenly shy under his gaze.

The sound of footsteps draws my attention, but I turn my attention to my plate, stuffing a piece of waffle into my mouth.

"Thank you." The murmured words are full of awe and surprise but are so bright with happiness they could light a room.

"For what?" I ask softly in reply, letting my eyes lift to his.

"For giving me a chance when no one else would," Ashton whispers, the words echoing clearly in my mind to reflect just how much this bright eyed, curly headed boy has gone through. His admission pushes my need to fill the space in his heart, where others had left him broken. For some reason this amazing person wanted me to be in his life, and if it would only be for a few moments, than so help me I would make those moments count.
---
How are you guys liking it so far? I've written several more chapters already so vote and comment and I'll keep 'em coming!
- Eryn xx