Chapter 16: Kiss It Better

Start from the beginning

It was a nice feeling. We weren't really worried about anybody spotting us; in fact it was the last thing on my mind. I was too preoccupied with trying to keep the grin on Jay's face.

But the illusion had to shatter sometime. As we passed through the creaky metal gate of the empty, picturesque park reality slapped us in the face. Reluctantly, I released my grip on Jay's hand and squirmed uncomfortably when his face fell.

"Ash?"

I was caught off guard by the sudden words. I stumbled slightly, sneezed a few times, and wiped my nose with the back of my hand.

"Yeah?" I sniffed.

"Are you sure you're ok? I mean, um, you look like..."

He let his voice fade away as he tried to think of a word that wouldn't offend me. He needn't have worried – I was as thick skinned as I appeared.

"Like shit?" I suggested dryly. Jay blushed and nodded.

"Well... um... yeah."

I snorted, then immediately regretted it once I tasted slimy evidence of my cold.

"Ugh..." I shuddered. "Having a cold sucks. I was fucking fine yesterday as well too! Must've picked something up at that bloody hospital..."

I bit my lip, immediately regretting voicing my thoughts. I really shouldn't have brought up the less than cheery hospital visit yesterday. And I felt really guilty when I saw the flash of sadness in Jay's wide, green eyes.

"Shit man, sorry," I explained, rubbing my mouth. "Oh crap. My people skills suck balls..."

Jay let out a soft snicker and I smiled, happy to have an escape route. I kept up a steady stream of light sarcastic humour all the way to the school. The happy atmosphere was a welcome change.

By the time break rolled around I was ashen faced and shaking. Sweated dripped off me even though I'd been nowhere near the PE block, and I all but stumbled out of history with a distraught Lee hot on my heels.

"Jesus Ash, are you ok? You look like a fucking zombie!"

"Well, it's an improvement," Lewis added thoughtfully, absently chewing on a blue biro. My blue biro.

"Gee thanks," I snapped, snatching the pen from his jaws. I shuddered, and wiped it down on his sleeve. "You guys sure know how to make a guy feel good. And that's kind of gross, by the way..."

Lewis smirked for a second, until Lee whacked him painfully in the ribs. We'd become an odd group now, Lewis eventually giving up his status as king of the school in favour of hanging around with a bunch of misfits like me, Lee and Jay. And while I still hadn't forgiven him for making my first year at high school a living fucking hell, I still viewed him with a grudging admiration.

We sat down at the usual round table we'd commandeered as our own, Lee and Lewis bickering like a married couple, me concentrating on not passing out. Jay sat down beside us, his arms piled with an alarmingly large stack of maps and atlases looking weary.

"So much homework," he whispered, depositing the books onto the table with a grunt of relief. But his expression rapidly mutated into one of worry when he caught sight of my god awful state.

"Oh my God Ash," he said, kneeling down beside me. "Are you ok?"

His hands brushed some matted hair from my eyes and I took a sharp intake of breath. It would have been really nice to kiss him right now...

I swatted his hand away. He looked momentarily hurt by my actions, so I left my fingers on his for a fraction of a second too long, indicating I wanted to grab him and kiss him silly. He picked up on the subtle hint and grinned.