I Say It's Over

In my English lesson, I notice Shane being hassled by a few guys. Whenever I try to give him a sympathetic look he just ignores me.

"So, are you and Laurence going to be fucking again tonight or are you too busy with your new roomie?" That one comment takes him off guard and he sends me a vicious glare.

"What was that?" He checks, needing to hear that sentence again just to be sure he heard right, still glaring furiously at me.

"I said: Are you going to fuck Laurence or that scrawny new kid?" The other boy repeats.

"Why would I be fucking the new kid?" Shane snaps.

"Don't you fuck anything that moves?" The boy sniggers.

"Fuck off." He mutters, going back to doodling on the side of the worksheet, deliberately avoiding eye contact with me and grinding his jaw furiously.

The boys bothering him look at me, to see me staring at Shane. Before I can look away, they laugh. "See, you must've been great. He can't get enough of you."

I immediately try to step in and say no. "I u-um, I d-don't-"

"Awh, look at him. He's so adorable." One of them laughs.

"Oh, he's all over you." Another one chuckles.

"I'm not-" I try.

"-Stay out of this!" Shane snaps at me, looking over his shoulder to check up on Laurence, who only glares at the both of us.

The boys notice this and laugh. "Oi Laurence, keep your boy in check, yeah?"

Shane almost seems to be shaking in anger, looking desperately at Laurence for help.

Laurence doesn't seem to give him help and starts talking to the kid next to him.

This completely leaves Shane devastated. "Laurence!" He calls across the room, immediately getting shushed by the teacher.

"Back to work Sumner!" Mr. Stacy warns.

Shane glares at the teacher furiously, I try not to read in too much when I can hear other boys chuckling something quietly but Shane becomes slightly more irritated.

Mr. Stacy notices that Shane isn't focusing on his work and sits down next to him. "You need to pass this subject or I will be reporting this straight to your father." He whispers. Because I'm the only one paying attention no one else seems to hear this.

"You're a liar." Shane growls at the teacher.

The teacher smirks. "It's your word against mine."

This makes Shane look away and continue doodling on his work, ignoring how the teacher lets out an irritated sigh.

"Watch your attitude." The teacher demands. "I can keep you here for another year." He threatens.

Shane just glares at the teacher but doesn't say anything.

I thought Mr. Stacy was one of the good teachers. What the hell does he have against Shane?

The rest of the lesson seems to be pretty uneventful so I'm relieved when I'm finally let out. I consider waiting to talk to Shane but I suddenly get grabbed by my collar and slammed against a wall.

I panic and look at the culprit, surprised to see Laurence.

"What are y-you-?" I start but I get a harsh punch in the stomach.

"-Don't even try it!" Laurence snarls.

It takes a moment for me to realise why he's threatening me.