Chapter 5 - The Society

Start from the beginning

"The purpose of the Society is to teach those with magic to control and use their powers. That was part of the reason for placing the Magoi around the kingdom. Most well-established settlements have a Mage. This Mage trains those who are new to the art."

"It sounds as if the Magoi have their own government."

"Aye, they do. All those with magical abilities must attend training. To ensure this, they are registered and tracked...usually."

She arched an eyebrow at him.

He shrugged. "No establishment is perfect, and as you can guess, those in smaller settlements can slip past the watchful eyes of the Society. Though it happens seldom, you can imagine the problems it sometimes causes."

She nodded. "Probably something like when I lost control with Lady Caterina and knocked her unconscious."

"Exactly like that, but oftentimes worse."

"All the more reason to begin my training as soon as possible."

"Indeed. We must begin at once."

"It is a lot to digest."

"Yes, I can see why." He stopped in front of a door. They had reached their destination. She was disappointed because she wanted to know much, much more.

"This is where I leave you."

"So what about—"

He held up a hand to silence her. "No questions, Claire. Save them for another time." Then he winked, gave her a pat on the back, and hurried off.

Her brain was in a frenzy. There was so much she did not know—so much to learn. She was determined to do her best.

Blinking, she finally examined her surroundings. The college had its own wing in the castle located on the eastern-most side of the third level. Much of it overlooked the Bay of Bandu. From what she understood, everything at the college was overseen by the Grand Mage. She stood outside his door, hesitant to knock. Several minutes had already come and passed.

Since arriving at the keep, Saffra was the only Mage she had met. From what she had heard of them, they were regarded with both fear and awe. When the servants spoke of them, they did so in hushed whispers.

A clicking sound made her jump. Before she could knock, the door opened. She stood facing a squat, older man with sparkling grey eyes and a shaggy beard. His manner of dress was drab. He wore plain black robes that were belted at his waist. This, she decided, was probably Marcel.

"What are you waiting for, dear girl? I might die of old age if you do not enter!" Though his words were snippy, his smile was friendly.

"My apologies, sir."

She was ushered into a large study. It was oddly decorated with strange glass and metal instruments. Tall bookshelves at least two stories high lined the wall opposite her. There were a few random wooden tables scattered around, along with armchairs, and two fireplaces, one on each side of the room. Several interior doors were closed. She assumed they led to the Grand Mage's living quarters.

The Grand Mage motioned for her to follow him. He led her to a large wooden desk, which dominated the back center of the room. She took a seat. He then took up the large chair opposite her, grunting as he pulled it in. Once sitting, he loudly exhaled. She waited for him to speak, but he didn't. He sat there looking at her, smiling. In fact, his smile grew larger and larger. She was almost worried that he found her amusing or was sharing a silent joke with himself. When he finally spoke, he said, "I have been curious to meet you, Lady Claire. At last, you are here. As you can imagine, rumors precede you—a woman worthy of Cyrus's Gift."