Chapter 5 - The Society

Start from the beginning

If only King Talon also knew...

It angered Claire that the king had not yet apologized for his bad treatment of her. Regardless, she wasn't interested in discussing it with Reyr, so she reminded him to get back on track. "As you were saying..."

"Ah, yes. Your training. Marcel will see to everything. I should warn you though, the road which lies ahead will be difficult. You have a great deal to learn in a short period of time. If Saffra's vision comes true, and you play a large part in the war to come, then we must prepare you as best as we can."

The vision he referred to was one Saffra had told to the court when trying to convince them of Claire's importance, except, Saffra had not been entirely truthful. She told the court Claire was supposed to play an important role but said nothing of Claire's fight with Kane.

Claire sighed, trying not to let the enormity of the situation overwhelm her. Every time she thought about her role, things felt ten times harder. "It's a bit much, isn't it? Playing an important role..." she said at last.

Reyr chuckled. "If anyone can do it, you can."

"Cliché! I've heard that one before."

"Just trying to help." His eyes sparkled with mischief before his face turned serious. "I am here to help, you know. Joking aside, if you need anything, you need only ask."

"Is that so?" Her tone remained playful, but her mind was racing as to how she might benefit from such an offer. A smile crept to her lips. "You know, I really could use your help."

"How may I be of service, my lady?"

"Well, for starters, I'm on my way to meet the Grand Mage of a magical society I know little about. Maybe you could tell me more? I want to be prepared."

Reyr chuckled. "All right then." He wasted no time in telling her everything he could, and as rapidly as possible so that she struggled to keep up.

"The Society is an ancient order, built upon the very foundations of this keep. Those who belong to it, the Magoi, rely upon the magic of the old language, the same language used by the Asarlaí. When King Eymar the First selected Kastali Dun to be his capital, he insisted that a college be built along with it. That is where I am taking you now, to the College of Magoi. In case you have not yet realized, Magoi is the plural of Mage."

"That one I figured out."

He nodded and continued. "The college, and subsequently, the Society, were established nearly fifty thousand years ago. The Drengr Monarchy was founded then too. The two go hand in hand: the Society and the monarchy."

"It's such a long time—fifty thousand years."

"I suppose so. To a human, such a lifespan is difficult to consider, but not to the Magoi, who often live much longer than humans do."

She stayed silent, letting him continue.

"Since its creation, the Society has presided over the magical community, sitting just under the rule of the Drengr monarchy. Its creation was monumental in bringing order to the Magoi's harsh treatment of others. Those with magic have a tendency, at times, to look down upon those without. The Society keeps everyone honest."

"So everyone was okay with them sweeping in and taking over?"

"They were opposed at first, but soon after, none could deny their importance. King Eymar's Magoi were placed around the kingdom to ensure those with magic behaved."

Claire and Reyr passed into one of the large courtyards on the third level of the keep. Claire hardly noticed. Too many thoughts and questions were taking form in her head. What kind of order did the Magoi keep? Did young children submit themselves to the Magoi when they discovered magic? Did the Magoi have Mage representatives in every city throughout Dragonwall? She was forced to keep her questions to herself—for now.