Chapter 12 Part 2

*ZACH*

I was following the directions Dani had given me as I made my way to Kilig. I was surprised to hear her call me and invite me to Natalie's semi-surprise birthday party but I had agreed to come.

I made my way upstairs to the area which Dani said the party would be. I sure what exactly you are supposed to get your best friend who you haven't spoken to since high school for their twenty-third birthday so I settled on some flowers.

I entered the door to the private room to find the party already in full swing. Traffic had been a nightmare and I failed to anticipate how long exactly it would take. Almost instantly Dani runs over to me like the madwoman she is.

***

*DANI*

I rushed over to Zach as soon as he entered the door. The party had started over forty five minutes ago. He better have a good reason for being late!

"Zachary-"

"Hi Dani sorry I'm late. I got stuck in traffic."

"Well as long as you're here now I guess. Don't let it happen again."

"My apologies Mam," he joked

"Now where is the birthday girl?" he asked me. He had a bunch of flowers and handed them to me as I pointed to the stage where Natalie was standing.

*ZACH*

I made my way towards the makeshift stage where Natalie was standing.

"Any takers" the guy organising the karaoke asked.

I didn't let anyone have a chance to say anything as I made my way on the stage to the other microphone. I whispered to the guy what song to play and took my place behind the microphone.

"Zach what are you doing here?" Natalie asked.

"Dani-" I explained as the intro started and we began to sing.

*NATALIE*

As the intro started I recognised the song. It was Taylor Swift's 22. Lol.

"I know you're turning 23 but that isn't official until a couple of hours, so I thought it was fitting." he explained.

The lyrics came up on the screen and I began to sing realising this was the first time I had ever really sung in front of Zach.

Zachary Peterson couldn't sing to save his life but somehow singing with him was so carefree and fun. He was doing all these exaggerated dance moves and everything whilst singing, it was too funny.

The song then ended and Zach helped me off the stage to let someone else have a go.

"So explain to me about Dani?" I asked.

"Well remember how there was the DPP fundraiser? Well after you left Dani and I were catching up and we exchanged numbers and then she called me about coming to your surprise party."

"She's always been the eccentric one, that's for sure." I whispered.

"Yea. I guess some things never change, even after high school" he said as Dani approached us, holding some flowers before giving them to Zach.

"Thanks for minding these Dani. These are for you Natalie, happy birthday."

"Thanks Zach" I replied blushing slightly.

"Now after all that singing can I get you a drink?"

"That would be great thanks Zach."

"Dani?"