Chapter 23 - Selfish

Start from the beginning

I glanced out onto the horizon, flipping the cool anchor pendant which was swaying against my chest around in my hot fingers. Dad had explained that Penny had encouraged him to buy it as a Christmas gift sometime in November. So they'd been seeing each other for a while, apparently. I felt guilty that Dad didn't feel like he could have told me sooner, but I guess we were so careful with our emotions that he'd assumed that I was still grieving my mother's removal from my life too.

I could see several people already sitting by the jetty from afar as I crossed the large rocks separating beaches. I didn't recognise any with Maisie or Alastair's figure, but a part of me remained hopeful. Music emanated from the slowly growing group, an interesting mix of modern dance music. 

"Vally, thought you'd never make it!" Logan enveloped me in a carefree hug, swinging me a little as I let out a playful protest. Sometimes being around him was like forgetting everything meaningful, it was fun and light.

"Didn't we say six? I'm five minutes early," I informed him.

"You had me on edge, all the suspense," he joked. 

I warmly greeted Noah, Luke and Pete, as well as waved a hello to Ingrid. I was almost enviable of her, with her bronzed hair and cheerful smile. She didn't have to worry about moving away or choosing a university for another year.

January last year had definitely been the peak of my summer. I hadn't thought back then how scary it was for the group of our older friends moving away or starting full time work out of school. Back then, things were at a perfect routine, and I had no need to worry about change. Or boys.

Because the night was so warm, someone suggested we swim while the sky was still bright. Nobody really commented on the absence of Dan and Maisie, but as we slipped off our shoes and placed down our glass bottles of alcohol which were glittering with condensation, Noah mentioned the twins.

"Hey, Val, do you know if Lottie and Alastair are back yet?" he asked.

I shook my head, not really knowing if there was a reason he singled me out to know. "I haven't heard from them."

"Maybe they're back home already, left without a goodbye," Logan said flippantly as he leaned forward to lift his shirt over his head. I tried not to stare at his browned abdomen.

The idea of the Sullivan's back home already made my face uncontrollably contort with pain, mostly at the idea of Alastair leaving without a proper goodbye. Logan noticed, and gave me a sceptical look, undoubtedly he was testing my reaction a little.

"They'll be back, Lottie vowed to try every flavour ice-cream at Cherry-On-Top," I told him, remembering her deceleration clearly. "She still has at least three to go."

"Good, I wouldn't mind her around for a while longer, she's hot," Noah said.

I rolled my eyes as the guys chuckled and murmured what were undoubtedly inappropriate comments. Just as I was about to curse the lack of girls, I spotted Zoe making her way down the stairs. It reminded me of Logan's revelation of their kiss on New Year's Eve.

"Are you guys swimming?" She asked, probably observing the lack of clothing we were wearing.

"Yeah," Noah said. "It's too hot to stay out here."

We swam out in the calm water, floating merrily as our bodies cooled. We swam to the stairs, far out along the jetty, and the guys climbed up and began jumping from the tall wooden pillars. 

"I'm going to miss this," Zoe sighed, leaning back to float horizontally.

"Me too," I agreed. "I don't know what it would be like to live away from the beach."