Chapter 46: Fathoming Thoughts

Start from the beginning

Of course, these aren't my game-skates, but just my pair that I use for fun and family skates.

I quickly slip my feet into my skates, tying them tightly, and quickly.

I glance over at Abby, who has managed to tie one of her skates, but is struggling with the other one.

Laughing, I get up, and stand in front of her.

She looks up at me, biting her lip.

I laugh, taking her foot, and placing it between my legs as I bend over and tie her skate.

"So you don't remember..." I laugh, looking up and winking at her.

"I had it covered, but you just do a better job than me." She giggles, her brown eyes shining.

I can vividly see the reflection of The Bean in her eyes, looking like a small image in the background.

I finish tying her skate, and then she stands up, taking my hand.

We make our way on the rubber carpet towards the rink, where both of us step onto the ice surface.

It's rough and not in great condition, but I don't mind at all.

Abby and I begin to take small strides, her hand in mine.

After a few strides, she gets the hang of it, and begins taking bigger ones.

I take bigger strides as well, and in a few quick moments, Abby and I are skating a fairly good pace around the outside of the rink.

We are careful not to bump into anyone, as we circle the large rink.

It's huge, actually.

Excited voices laugh and talk with each other as we skate, and the two of us find our rhythm, holding hands.

"You have gotten a lot better." I laugh, as I look down at my skates.

I push off here and there to keep us moving at a good speed.

"I told you." She giggles, biting her lip.

I laugh, kissing her on the cheek gently.

She doesn't even lose her balance.

"I'm impressed." I joke, smirking.

She rolls her eyes, laughing.

The two of us continue skating, enjoying the atmosphere as we do so.

My mind begins to wander as we skate, silently.

It's been almost a week since Abby's birthday, which was the night that we had sex.

The night that we had sex, without using protection, in hopes of making a little human.

Neither of us, have any idea of whether she is pregnant or not.

You have to wait at least ten days for the pregnancy test to be accurate, so therefore, it hasn't been long enough to know if Abby is pregnant or not.

But this past week, it's been all I can think about.

Every time I look at Abby, my mind immediately thinks about how there just might be a little baby inside of her, at this exact moment.

Of course, it's not even a baby this early, but just knowing that in a fairly short amount of time, it could be, is enough to drive me insane.

I don't think it's the fact that there could be a little one in there right now that is killing me.

I think it's the fact that there might not be one in there.

I'll admit, I'm scared to death that Abby and I are going to have problems getting her pregnant.

Or, God forbid, something is going to go wrong, and she won't be able to have kids.

I don't know what it is, but my mind won't stop racing this past week.

It's been all I can think about, and we both still have no idea whether or not she's even pregnant.

Suddenly, Abigail speaks.

"You've been thinking a lot, haven't you?" Abby asks, smiling down at her skates.

"What?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows.

She looks up at me, her brown eyes wide, and mouth partly open.

Her hair blows in the breeze as we skate, slightly.

"I can tell. You've been thinking a lot, and something is on your mind. It has been for the past week. And I'm pretty sure I know what it is." Abby smiles up at me.

I sigh, shaking my head.

Abby knows me too well.

We haven't even talked about her potentially being pregnant at all, since we had sex on her birthday.

We've just pushed it aside, and tried to keep on living our lives.

"I just really want to know." I laugh, shaking my head.

"Yeah, I understand, Pat. Trust me, I'm dying to know as well." She laughs, shaking her head.

"Oh, I bet." I smile, giving her hand a quick squeeze.

"I want to wait until after Christmas to find out if I'm pregnant or not, Patrick." Abigail says, bluntly.

I raise my eyebrows.

"That's fine, Abby, but why?" I ask, tiling my head slightly as I look down at her.

She shrugs.

"Things get really busy around Christmas. I mean, we've already made plans to spend Christmas Day at my parents' house with both of our families. It's going to be busy, and there are going to be a lot of people there. I know this may sound odd, but I don't want to reveal that I'm pregnant at a time that's already so busy. Yeah, it would be exciting, but I think it would be overwhelming for some people. I just want to wait until after things calm down a little bit, before I find out." Abby finishes, looking up at me.

I smile, nodding.

"Yeah, Abby, that makes perfect sense." I say, smiling.

"I know you are dying to know, Patrick. But please, can you wait?" Abby asks, looking at me with her longing, big, brown eyes.

I smile, nodding.

"Yeah. I can wait." I say, laughing.

"Thank-you, Patrick. I know that if I do the pregnancy test and find out, I won't be able to keep it a secret at Christmas dinner. It will come out of me, somehow. So, I just don't even want to know until afterwards." She explains.

"Yeah. That sounds good," I say, nodding.

"And we aren't telling anyone about this, alright? We'll wait until we know for sure." I say, looking down at her.

"I was just about to say that." She smiles, looking up at me.

"This love is ours." I say, bluntly.

"This love is ours." She replies, quickly.

I smile, looking down at her.

She continues skating, her hand still warm in mine.

"The anticipation just might be the death of me, though." I say, laughing.

She laughs, looking up at me.

"Yeah, no kidding. I'll do the test just after Christmas. " She laughs, shaking her head.

"Sounds good." I nod, smiling.

I look over and down at her, skating next to me.

Her hair blows slightly in the wind, and a small smile rests on her face.

And the thought that the beautiful woman holding my hand at this moment might be the mother of my future child, is quite possibly the most beautiful thought I've ever been able to fathom.