Chapter 46: Fathoming Thoughts

Start from the beginning

Christmas is just ten days away, and the city of Chicago knows it.

Everywhere you look, the city is decorated with Christmas decor.

Of course, there is the famous, huge Christmas tree that sits at Millennium Park, but there are multiple other Christmas decorations as well.

The streetlights are decorated with fancy Christmas-themed garland, and ornaments hang from them.

The stores all have their Christmas sale signs in the windows, and the city is very alive.

It's not super sunny today, but it's certainly not entirely gloomy.

The sky is overcast, and the clouds are light grey.

Despite the sun not being completely out, it is still a really nice day.

The temperature isn't bad, and there is hardly a wind.

Abby's gloved hand is warm in mine, and I look down at my feet as we walk, occasionally glancing up and around me.

"So are you going to suck at skating this time?" I ask, winking at her.

She rolls her eyes, playfully.

"I'm actually pretty good now." She teases, laughing.

"Right." I tease back.

She laughs, shaking her head.

Ever since I took Abby skating for the first time years ago, I have always teased her about how she sucks at skating.

I'm not going to lie, she's gotten a lot better at it since we first started dating, but she's still not amazing.

She can definitely skate now, she's just not a comfortable skater.

I don't mind at all, to be honest.

I think it's actually pretty cute, but she always gets frustrated at family skates.

It's hilarious.

"I'm just joking." I laugh, looking down at her.

"I know, Patrick." She giggles, as we continue walking down the street.

We both laugh, as we turn the corner towards Millennium Park.

"You played really well last night, Pat." Abby says, quietly.

"Thanks, love." I say, smiling down at the ground as we walk.

Our strides are in-time with one another, mine are just slightly longer than hers are.

"Nice seeing your parents and the girls again?" Abby asks, smiling up at me.

I nod, smiling.

"Yeah, it always is." I say, quietly.

She laughs, nodding.

Within a few minutes, we have reached Millennium Park, and we head over to the skating rink, that is just in front of The Bean.

It's in the outdoor patio area of the Chicago Park Grill during the summer, but right now, the patio is obviously closed off.

The rink is large, and actually not too busy right now.

Abby and I head over to one of the park benches by the rink, sitting down and taking our skates out of the bag.

"Do you remember how to tie your skates, or do I have to do them for you?" I ask, laughing as I pass her her skates.

"No, I remember." She giggles, taking the skates from me.

I laugh, taking out my skates.

We both slip off our shoes, and put on our skates.