A Month To Live (18)

Start from the beginning

‘Why are you staring at me like that?' he asked suspiciously.

I snapped out of it, suddenly realising that I had been checking him out like a piece of meat. Not for the first time either.

‘Like what?’ I asked with a raised eyebrow. I was half tempted to touch my lower lip to check for drool.

‘Like you're thinking hard about something?’

‘Oh. I was out of it, sorry,’ I mumbled ‘I’m going to get some coffee,’ I added distractedly. ‘You want some?’

‘Yeah sure,’ Bradley replied slowly, eyes still narrowed.

‘What?’ I ask.

‘Just go make the coffee,’ he said with a smile I couldn't comprehend.

‘You’re really weird sometimes,’ I shrugged before placing the comb on the counter and leaving the bathroom.

I made my way down to the kitchen and found Kyle alone, scrolling through his phone.

‘Hello, fellow partier,’ he said, looking up at me with a smile.

‘Partier?’ I questioned. ‘I didn't drink and left after about half an hour,' I laughed.

‘The party was pretty good. Other than the fact that Remi puked everywhere,’ he added.

‘Yeah that was pretty nasty,’ I agreed. 'Glad I didn't have to clean it up.'

‘I’m sure you had just as much fun last night as we did,’ he smirked, making me pause as I reached for the coffee jar.

‘What?’ I asked warily.

‘With Bradley,’ he said pointedly.

‘Woah, woah, woah,’ I began, glancing over my shoulder in a paranoid kind of way.

‘I know you didn’t do anything,’ Kyle intervenes. ‘Remi would have filled me in by now. But you seem to get along more than just friends should,’ he added. I set the coffee jar back down on the side and took in a deep breath.

‘Want a coffee?’ I asked brightly.

‘No thanks. Don't change the subject,' he added as I rifled around for sugar too.

‘I’m not trying to change the subject,’ I said. ‘I just don’t have a response to what you’re saying.’

‘Come on,’ Kyle snorted. ‘Do you like him as more than a friend or not? Just answer me that!’ he said.

I turned to glare at him. No one had actually asked me outright before. Remi had just assumed.

‘Is it... that obvious?' I said hesitantly.

‘Hell yeah, it is!’ Kyle grinned. ‘I knew it, we all knew it. 'You should just go tell him, you know. You'd be a lot happier. Both of you would.'

I squeezed my eyes shut, already regretting my decision to tell him.

‘Kyle please don’t say anything to anybody,’ I pleaded.

'Why not, Raegan? It's going to happen anyway.'

‘It’s not going to happen, okay?’ I said, grabbing two mugs from the cupboard.

‘That sounds really... well it sounds as if you've already made up your mind,' he frowned.

‘That’s because I have,' I muttered, avoiding his eyes.

‘Why?’ he asked, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

‘It’s complicated,’ I said through clenched teeth. Great, that's just what I needed. Another person suspicious about my past.