Chapter 1.

"Hey Avery ready for the dance Friday?" My friend, Alison asked. I could tell she was excited for the dance. Everyone was. But me. It seemed.

I looked over at my best friend Harry before responding. He wasn't even paying attention, so I looked back to her.

"Yeah I guess so." She looked at me confused before saying "What do you mean you guess so? I'm so excited! The dresses, the music, the boys, the dancing..." she continued on but I couldn't bother pay attention. I have been waiting for months for Harry to ask me but he still hasn't.

Our eighth grade dance is coming up this Friday. It's pretty much our big send off. Making it official that were done here. It's also our first dance that's a big deal, but I can't find it in me to make it a big deal.

Later that day Harry and I were walking home from school together, like we do every day. We live right next to each other so it's nice to be able to walk home with him.
He turned and looked at me, looking like he was going to say something but shook his head and walked away.

"What are you thinking about?" I stopped and asked him.

"Nothing really." he said, but I could tell something was up.

"C'mon Harry you're my best friend. I can tell when something is up." I said.

"Who are you going to the dance with?" He asked. Yes! He's finally gonna ask me!

"I don't know, no one asked me yet." I said getting really excited.

"Oh, well I was planning on asking Aubrey. I was thinking maybe we could go there in a group?" I just stared at him. I could feel my eyes staring to water, so I started walking again, alot faster than before.

"Hey Ave! Wait up!" Harry called behind me, but I kept walking. "So what do you think about that? Should I ask her?"

I turned around and quietly said, "Do whatever makes you happy." Then quickly ran up to my house and locked the door to make sure he wouldn't come in.

****

I ended up waking up three hours later.

I can't believe that he wants to go with someone else. I should have known. I mean why would he want to go with me anyways? I'm not as pretty as half of the girls at our school. I'm not as interesting, or smart, I'm hardly athlethic, so I really can't blame him. But he's my best friend. And next year I'm going to a different high school than he is so I was really hoping that we would have this one night to bring us even closer together. I mean, I know I'm still going to see him, we're neighbors afterall. But still, we won't have classes, we won't walk home together, and I can't help but think that someone else will come around and he'll replace me.