Chapter 1 The Present is Not the Past

"I'm going to kick that football all the way to the moon! AHHHAHAH!!" I scream before landing on my back.

"Gah!" I gasp shooting up on my bed. "Just a dream, I don't fall for that anymore, and that hasn't happened for a long, long time." I glance at my wristwatch and sigh. It was one minute to six.

"Well that's lucky, waking up right before the whole house is awaken," I think as the seconds tick by. Finally it's six. Three sets of alarms blare off in the house. I quickly stop mine, but I still her at least one more. "Uh-hu, Sally better get up, or it's going to be a bad morning."

"BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!" my mother yelled out. Wincing at the threat, I rushed over to Sally's room. 

"Wake up Sal, I don't know if you heard mom or not, but seriously, wake up," I say opening the door. As I look in her room, I notice that she isn't there. I promptly rush to shut the alarm off. "Yeesh, you could have told me you weren't going to be home," I muttered to the obviously empty room. It wasn't the first time she wasn't home, and it won't be the last. We had a system for it, but it seems like Sally broke it last night. 

"Blah blah blah!?" my mother yells. 

"Yea, she's up Mom! She just couldn't get to the alarm. Everything's good," I inform her. It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the full truth. I didn't want Sally to get into trouble. 

"Blah blah blah blah blah."

"I know Mom. I'm going to get ready, and then head out. I promised you that I would, and I am," I say back to her. She was making me work at the school for the last week of summer. Not that I minded, I didn't have any plans, but I did not want to get on her bad side. I quickly changed into my signature t-shirt, and other clothes. The faster I was, the less I would get yelled at. 

Sally and my Mother had changed a lot since we were little. She became a heavy drinker, and then started not to trust us as much as she use too. Home just didn't feel like home anymore, but it's not like I have anywhere else to go. 

Walking outside the house, I look over and see Snoopy's old dog house. I shut my eyes tight to prevent tears. Snoopy died three years ago. I don't know how. I came back home from school one day, and found him laying in the yard. He wasn't breathing. That was a dark day for me. 

My mother wanted me to work the Senior-Freshman Welcoming Festival. Seniors are suppose to welcome the new freshman, but the only ones that normaly do are the ones forced to, kinda like me, or the ones who actual volunteer, who are few and far between.

"Okay people, each booth needs two people so I'm pairing you up," the class president says. He lists off a couple of other senior's names before getting to mine. "Charlie Brown and Lucy VanPelt," he says not wasting a breath. My breath was taken from me. 

"Lucy! Oh no. She'll  kill me," I think looking at her. Her smile at the booth we've been assigned is huge. "Okay then, maybe not..."