Chapter Seven The Single Ray of Sun

When Penny's rusty, obviously unused voice penetrated the air, Baz was almost on hundred percent sure he saw Simon's ears perk up. With a very undignified shriek, Simon ran full speed across the room falling on top of Penny, attempting to pull the poor girl into a huge bear hug. All while screaming, " Penny!!!" At the top of his lungs. His volume was actually quite impressive.  Baz on the other hand was a bit disappointed and, well, completely and utterly shocked. In the moment, before his brain was able to completely comprehend the situation, he had sat up, still relishing the taste of Simon's lips on his. Trying to make that tingling sensation last, he put his hand up and lightly brushed his lips. Finally, it sunk it. The truth hit him like a freight train; Penelope Bunce, Simon's Penny, was awake! He stood up quickly, too quickly, after that knock to the head, it was like the world was spinning in circles, while doing a couple of cart wheels. Abruptly, he sat back down, shaking his head a few times to clear his vision. When he looked up again, Simon was throwing himself at Penny, landing with a squeak of the poor bed springs. It was all he could do to keep from laughing in such a heart felt situation, it was just, " Oh no Baz, " he thought," Not again. EVERYTHING Simon does isn't cute!" He chided himself strictly.

But being Baz, it only took him a couple of second to realize that Simon, an 18 year old boy, was completely crushing newly conscious Penny. With only four long strides, he was across the dorm room and yanking Simon off Penny quietly saying, "Are you mad? What was that? You idiot, give the girl room to breathe!" Sheepishly, with his eyes still fixed on Penny Simon took a small step back. Then, with a maniac glint in his eye, he stepped forward again and seemed to be leaning in for another hug. Unconsciously, Baz reached out and grabbed Simon's sweaty hand, clenching it tight in his own. Silently willing him to stay where he was. As if he had read his mind, Simon complied. For awhile they just stood there, staring wide eyed at Penny, and Penny staring wide eyed at them. Her arm hung limply over the side of the bed. She lay with her head turned to the side, looking at the boys, her face seemed to be more than just gaunt. It was as if in every shadow, every dip, there was a horror, an impossible secret hiding.

Baz, his eyes soaking in the terrible experiences that radiated from Penny, didn't notice as Simon's knees began to shake. Simon began to rapidly open and close his mouth, if it was another time, another place, Baz definitely would have gotten a kick out of that one. But he didn't, he barely paused to glance Simon's way when he felt a tremendous tug on his hand. Baz, with out breaking his train of thought, looked out of the corner of his eye, to see Simon on his knees, his empty hand being dragged across his face. Turning back to the scene in front of him, his brain moved to store the information away to be analyzed at a later date. Hurriedly, he gave it one more once over; it wasn't until then that it clicked. He too sunk to his knees, pulling Simon into him. Simon, one arm wrapped tightly around Baz's shoulder, reached out and caught Penny's limp, almost fragile hand. "Pen." he spoke with such a conviction, a passion was building behind his eyes, no one could resist listening to him, " Penny. Who did this to you? What th-the heck happened to you?" After a pregnant pause he continued, " I thought you were gone Pen. I was- I was sure I'd never see you again. I'm so glad your back, your here, your with me. Penny? I love you. "

One ray of sun can light up an entire room. Penny's smile could have lit up the world. Still, she didn't reply. Baz's voice took the place of hers, " What?" He asked with a brutally clear hurt, " You love her?" All of a sudden, he found that his shattered heart was freezing over again. The wheels began to turn, he was devising a plan, something he hadn't done in quite a while. It was. A plan on how to take it all back, on how to forget that anything ever happened. Simon locked eyes with him, grimacing, "Baz, you know Penny and I are friends, best friends! Of course I love her but she's my friend! And in case you haven't noticed, Basilton, the last person I kissed was you, you idiot. " Pausing for a breathe, Simon took in the look on Baz's face: surprise. His eyes still were on fire, continuing, his voice softening a bit," Anyway, we have some more important things to deal with, ya?"

All Baz could do was nod his head, slowly at first, but he picked up speed and a smile the longer it went on. It was that special moment that would be seared into all three of their brains forever, and it had nothing to do with Simon's sweet acclimation. It was Penny's voice that made it so special. Taking a couple deep breathes, in and out she reminded herself over and over, " Just a deep breathe, these guys are my friends. Come on Penny, just a deep breathe." It was a couple more minutes of silence until her tones rang loud and clear. Terrified, she whispered, like the entire world was listening in, " The Mage." She had their attention now. The blood was slowly leaving Simon's face so he was as pale as Baz. "Just another deep breath, one more and then finish. One more." she calmly told herself before continuing. "It was the Mage." 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! Thank you so much for reading and voting! I am so sorry I haven't been updating more! I had I big school project due yesterday and the quarter ended today, so ya. Sorry about that! What do you guys think of the plot? This is my first time ever trying to create one and I don't know too much about, like how... So, if you have any suggestions, PLEASE comment!