Chapter Six It Wasn't Fear

It wasn't the fear of the present that kept Penny in another world, rather the ghosts of the past. As long as she was inside she could escape the brutally reality. Out there, there was no where to run, no place to hid. Penny had braved it just long enough so she could get back to Simon, then she couldn't take it any longer. While her brave Simon looked on her red, puffy eyes rolled back in her head, as if they too wanted to see the beauty of a parallel universe. Each passing day a little voice, one she desperately did not want to hear, got louder. She'd lean into Mitch, her wonderful Mitch, moaning for it to stop, yelling at him to do something, to tell it to leave her alone. Every time he'd reply with a sad smile, " Penny, babe, I can't. I wish I could Pen, but there's nothing I can do. Pen, listen, just listen." Afterword, every time with out fail, he would collapse against the plush couch exhausted, as Penny continued to rage. But as the voice got louder, Penny couldn't help but listen. She never told anyone what it said. To Simon and Baz's relief what ever Penny heard worked.

   It wasn't until four days later that Penny's eyes fluttered open. She blinked rapidly, starring at something. Her face screwed up in deep concentration, slowly a large flat object began to come into focus. Unlike her vision, her hearing was still immaculate. Focusing on that instead, she made out two male voices whispering, a wave of relief washed over her like a warm bath, there was Simon. But it was just to be replaced with complete shock when she processed the other voice: Baz. Half of her wanted to sit up and hug Simon then smack Baz across the face. The last time she saw him, he was taunting Simon as he waved to Penny from the train platform. That was before Christmas break. For some weird reason, uncomprehendable to Penny, Baz was staying for the Holidays. The other half, wanted to see what the boys were so adamantly discussing. Her body felt like a lead cast, as she reasoned politely with herself, " I'll just listen for now. If Baz is being horrid then I'll smack him, I'll just listen first."

Meanwhile, the boys had yet to notice. Simon was curled up like a puppy on Baz's bed (Penny was lying on his) with a mug of raspberry tea in his hands. Baz was sitting next to him slowly rubbing his back in small circles. Both of them knew with heavy hearts that if Penny didn't wake up soon they really were going to have to bring her to the infirmary, into the Mage's waiting arms. After Penny showed up, it took Baz two days to get Simon to talk, one to eat. Although he would never admit to it, Baz was extremely worried. Not only was Penny there and unconscious, Simon was tipping farther and farther towards the gapping hole that he was sure was about to consume his life. Simon could barely think, his best friend was lying in his dorm on his bed and he could do nothing to help her. Just as he began running through the ways he could have, no should have helped her, a pair of cold hands took his now empty tea cup from his hands. Simon looked up, staring into two pools of worry and sorrow, " Hey" Baz whispered gently," come here. " With that he proceed to pick up Simon and place him like a sick little child on his lap. Pulling him into a heartfelt hug, Baz could feel Simon's slow trickle of tears leak through his cotton tee.

"Baz?" Simon said after a shuttering breath. While Baz responded with his typical "Yay" Simon sat up, pulling away from Baz. " Baz we have to do something. I can't wait any longer and you know Penny can't either. I don't care where we go, we can't let him have her back. I won't let him." Simon's eyes radiated a protective intensity that Baz had only seen once before, on his very first day at Watford. After a couple of excruciatingly long seconds Baz replied as a slow plotting grin spread over his face, " Now Simon, there's something I can help you with. I think I got a plan." If Baz was to be honest with himself he would have admitted that he'd had a plan since day one. But that wasn't necessary, Simons hot raspberry stained lips were pressed to his. Simon took Baz with such surprise that he , with his vampire reflexes in all, fell backwards, slamming his head against the headboard, furthering the tangling process of his black greasy hair. Penny heard it all. Of course she couldn't see the kiss but she still had retained enough sense to comprehend what was going on.

With all the strength she could muster, she propped her self up on her elbows. By the time Penny had gathered enough breath to speak her biceps were beginning to shake. Silently cursing her lack of strength she cleared her throat, that still didn't get their attention. Inwardly sighing she turned her head to the left, she was just able to make out two blurry forms, clearing her throat again she rasped, " Hey guys, a little help ya?" That got their attention. She flopped back down on Simon's bed and waited as the frantic foot steps rapidly approached her.