Chapter 16

*Charlotte*

"I can't believe I'm telling you this... I shouldn't be telling you any of it." I sighed. "Fuck, I'm a horrible friend."

Hannah sighed, flopping back on her bed with her arms spread out beside her like wings. "I can't believe it."

I ignored her, too lost in my own shame for giving her that information. "Oh god. I shouldn't have told you any of that. It wasn't even my place!"

"Charlie, calm down," Hannah said, smiling softly at me. We were sitting in her room... where she pressured me into telling her about Mason. I didn't tell her everything, no, but I did accidentally blurt out that he was being abused by the damn mayor. I'm a terrible person. "I'm glad you told me. I know you, and when things are eating up at you, you need to tell someone."

I groaned, flopping back beside her with my hands resting on my stomach. Her parents knew that I was an orphan, and didn't mind that I occasionally stay here. Granted, they did think I usually stayed at a foster home, and not a library. "You're right, and I hate that you're right. I just... I don't know what to do. I want to help—I mean, I definitely know how to fight after what happened—but I just don't know what to do." I shifted some and turned my head to face her. Hannah did the same. "Living on the streets for a bit tends to teach you things, but what am I supposed to do? Show up at his house and pull a knife on his step dad? I don't even know where Mason lives!"

Hannah shot up to a sitting position, eyes glinting mischievously as she grinned. "I've got an idea."

"Oh, no you don't," I protested, shaking my head adamantly. There was no way I was going through with any thing she came up with. "You're ideas are either incredibly stupid, dangerous, or illegal."

She raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms over her chest as I threw one of mine over my tired eyes. "Oh, come on! Its a good idea!"

"I haven't even heard it and I already hate it."

As if completely ignoring everything I'd just stated, Hannah said, "Follow him home. Not only would that give you his address, but it'll also let you see how he reacts when he gets there; does his step dad greet him at the door? Does he sneak in? What?" She shrugged. "If anything happens? Like you said, you know how to fight."

I shook my head. That's... actually not a horrible idea. Not her greatest idea—not that there ever were any—but it wasn't horrible, either.

Well, if everything goes as planned.

I took a deep breath, then nodded. "Okay."

"Look, it's a good idea-wait, what?" She asked excitedly. "Really? Yes!"

I snorted and rolled my eyes. "Don't get too excited; this doesn't mean that any of your other plans are suddenly going to be good ones."

"Wouldn't dream of it." Hannah grinned. "Now, what to do about Prince Charming?"

As much as I hate to admit it, we sounded like stalkers the rest of the day. We were trying to find out where Mason lived, when he left to go home, which routes he took, and ways to follow him without being noticed.

We also thought up how the situation could play out. His step dad would obviously react badly, but if anything got too serious, I could always help Mason defend himself. After all, two against one—when both of us can fight—is bound to work in our favor. The only thing left out would be whether Mason decided to tell police about his dad's abusiveness or not.

It would be hard work, but it was worth it if it meant I could help Mason.

"When should we do this?" Hannah asked after a while. We were laying on our stomachs on her bed, paying little attention to the small TV in her room.

"Correction," I said. "When am I doing this. You don't know how to fight; if something happened, you wouldn't be any help to Mason. No offence."

Hannah sighed. "I know. I may not be friends with him, but that doesn't mean I want him in that situation."

I snorted. "You know you want to be friends with him. You're constantly fangirling."

She buried her blushing face in her arms and groaned. "Not anymore!" She huffed, then mumbled, "Not as much."

I laughed loudly and shook my head. Hannah's pink tinged ears darkened at my reaction. "Oh, I'm sure." I sighed, rolling on my back and throwing am arm over my eyes again. "But seriously, when should I do this?"

It was quiet for a moment. I pulled my arm slightly from my eyes to glance at Hannah, who's head was now up with a thoughtful expression. "Two weeks."

"What?" I gaped, removing my arm from my face completely. "Why? I want to help him as soon as possible."

Hannah nodded. "I know, but he just told you about it. I'm sure he's expecting you to want to help him. From what all you've told me about him in the past week, he's smart. If you try and follow him now, I have no doubt he'll catch you and convince you to let it go." She smiled as heat rose to my cheeks. I didn't talk about him that often, just occasionally to Hannah. "If you wait two or three more weeks, it'll give you more of an advantage to actually succeed with this."

I nodded, hating that I have to leave Mason in that Hell even a moment longer. "You're right. I just hate all of what's happening to him."

Hannah sighed. "So do I, but there's not much either of us can do."

"Lets just hope this plan actually works."

*****

I am so sorry it took so long to update, and that this is a filler chapter. I've had some serious writers block on this story, and I would REALLY appreciate any ideas you have, otherwise it will probably take even longer to update again.

Anyways, please remember to VOTE, FOLLOW, and COMMENT.

Thank You!

~Aubrey