Is anyone reading this?

Start from the beginning

Carlos is silent for a minute or two before answering.

“I don’t know.  When I saw her lying there, helpless, it kinda made me feel bad if I didn’t help her.  Then, to see her cry, I knew she shouldn’t have to go through this…at least not alone.  Seeing her sad, I just want to be there for her no matter what.  I really have no idea why, though.  I just do.” 

Now it was Logan’s turn to be silent.  He didn’t know what to say to that.  Carlos has never said anything that deep before in his life!  Whatever happened, Logan thinks it’s for the best.  He put his arm around Carlos. 

“Well, then I’ll be here for you whenever you need anything.  I hope I helped you by driving, even though I complained.  It wasn’t that bad, actually.  Only a few more weeks and I can get my license!”

“Yeah…” Obviously, Carlos was preoccupied, but then again, that is understandable.

The two sit in the chairs for an hour or two until Logan’s phone goes off.

“Hello?” 

“WHERE ARE YOU GUYS?!?!?!  You should be here RIGHT NOW!  It’s now 12:30, and only HALF the band is here!  Can you explain to me why you guys AREN’T!?!” 

Logan holds the phone an arm’s length away.  Oh, man.  Checking the time on the cell, it is indeed 12:30.  They were supposed to be at Rocque Records a half hour ago and it was more important today than the entire month before.

“Did Kendall or James tell you why we’re not here?”  Logan asks, glancing at Carlos, who’s eyes look like a deer’s when stuck in a pair of headlights.

“NO!!  They WON’T TELL ME!!!!  So, you need to get DOWN HERE NOW so we can record some new stuff!!!  NO excuses!!”  Gustavo then proceeds to hang up, not giving them a chance to explain anything.

“Come on, Carlos.  We have to go now.”  Logan gets up and heads toward the door. 

“Logan!  I can’t leave her here alone!!  I don’t even know what’s going on!”  Carlos leaps up and runs over to the front desk.

“How is she?  What’s going on?  Anything I can do?  Please tell me?!”  He begs with folded hands to the old nurse at the station.

“She does have some brain damage, but we won’t be able to tell how extensive for at least another hour.  Her right wrist is sprained, left leg is broken in three spots, and she had some internal bleeding, but she’s in stable condition.  We will need to keep her for a few day, though, to check her vital signs and see if her brain is able to begin healing itself or not.  Don’t worry about her.  We’ll do all we can.”  The nurse talks so calmly that she even has Carlos relaxed for a second or two.

“Logan, I can’t go!  Tell Gustavo…”

“No! Carlos, you’re coming with me.  This is really important to all of us.  She’ll be ok.”  Logan drags Carlos to the car where Bitters is leaning.  He willingly locks himself in the trunk, knowing they’re going back to the Palmwoods.  

Shoving Carlos into the passenger’s seat, Logan runs to the driver’s side.  The ride back to the Palmwoods was long, dragging in the silence that hovered over them both.

Arriving at Rocque Records on foot, Logan spins Carlos around to face him.

“Now, you need to relax and sing like you always do.  Also, not a word to Gustavo why we were gone.  He doesn’t need to know.  Ok?”  He shakes Carlos’ shoulders.

“Yeah, whatever…” His eyes wander away from Logan’s.  Carlos hopes Logan doesn’t see the tears forming in his eyes.

      I don’t know what’s going on half the time.  Bright lights above me make my head hurt and the whispers pound against my ears.  Going in and out of consciousness, I don’t really know what’s going on, but apparently I was hurt pretty badly.  The one thing I am sure of, though, is that my savior left me.  He’s gone, and though I may not see any evidence, my aching heart is enough for me.