Chapter 35 - UNCUT

Start from the beginning

Lord Godfrey’s sword swung in a sweeping arc.  Jonathan easily deflected it and countered with one of his own.  The swords violently met again.  Then the men were apart and circling again.

This was the time of testing.  Each of the men would make aggressive gestures and watch how they were countered.  They were looking for holes and weaknesses in technique.  It was also a good opportunity to wear down a less experience opponent. From my vantage point I could see no flaws in either man as yet.

Then Lord Godfrey attacked.  He came at Jonathan with a series of striking blows forcing him back and he deflected each.  His sword flashed with confidence and strength.  Jonathan raised his sword and took the final blow and held it above his head.  This was dangerous and an easy way to tire yourself.  Holding armour, plus swords above your own head took great strength whereas it was almost effortless for the attacker.  But Jonathan was not inexperienced.  He dropped his shoulder and threw himself into the exposed torso of Lord Godfrey causing the man to take several steps backwards lest he fall. 

Then without pause Jonathan launched his own barrage of blows.  Lord Godfrey fared less well as he fought to regain his balance.  Jonathan’s sword surprised him and I heard the unmistakable clattering thud as it found his armour.  Godfrey swore as Jonathan’s sword rebounded from the upper arm plate.  A trickle of red oozed from where the blade cut through the cloth to the unprotected skin underneath.

“How goes the shoulder Godfrey?  Does it ache in the winter?” Jonathan’s voice was even as they circled each other again.

I must have frowned because a soft voice whispered from my left, “Torc dislocated Godfrey’s left shoulder.  It’s never been the same since.”  I turned to find Lord Richard standing close.

Godfrey didn’t respond.  But I caught what looked like a sneer lift his lips.

The men circled again.  If the scratch was more than that Lord Godfrey showed no indication.  Jonathan tried to take advantage of his first blood and attacked again but Godfrey was obviously expecting it.  He countered with his own attack and soon Jonathan was on the defence.  Then just as Godfrey raised his striking sword I saw it.  His left arm swung out from his body to balance.  Jonathan must have been waiting for it.  He adjusted his stance using his long blade so the attacking sword slid down his own, bringing Godfrey forward and downwards.  At the same time Jonathan hit out with his defending dagger.  But instead of using it to thrust into Godfrey’s chest between the plates, he turned it and used the hilt to smash into his upper arm.

Godfrey let out a scream of pain and staggered back.  His left arm dropped the dagger blade and he fought to keep his grip on the sword as well.  My eyes widened.  I have never seen that before.  Jonathan had delivered a blow to dislocate the man’s arm.  He could have killed him but instead he disabled his left arm.  Jonathan was confident, hopefully not over confident.

“Yes that shoulder is still giving you trouble isn’t it,” Jonathan circled the insured man. 

Lord Godfrey looked pale but still held his weapon up.  It quivered slightly but he did not submit.

“Stop this Godfrey, I don’t want to kill you.  Speak the word that will end this.   Whatever price the King pays for your loyalty you cannot spend it in death.” 

At this Lord Godfrey screamed a cry and lunged at Jonathan thrusting his sole weapon at him madly.   It was a desperate attack of a cornered man.  He slashed with all the ferocity of an injured beast. 

I watched, unable to look away. 

This was the most dangerous time.   The madness gave a man inhuman strength but tired him quickly.  This was the point which the duel was won or lost.  The last man standing was not always the uninjured party.  Confidence could make a man careless whereas desperate fear could drive him to victory.