9 - a nickname & tutor

Depuis le début

"Everything going okay over here?"

I flashed him my dazzling smile, "Of course, Mr. Fredrickson. Did you expect anything less from us?"

He laughed heartily. "Of course not, Corrigan. I actually came over to ask you a favor. Since Jacob, here," at this he put his hand on Jacob's shoulder, "Hasn't been here, he doesn't have a partner for the project. There's an odd number of students so I was wondering if you and Athan would be willing to include him in your group. Besides, I know Athan and Jacob are very close friends. So ultimately it's up to you."

Wow, this is perfect. I'll be able to interact more with Jacob too. "Of course! I'd be happy to include him." I smiled at Jacob who just stared blankly in return. I guess I wouldn't be too happy if I was dumped onto other people either.

"Perfect! Alright, I'll leave you and Athan the job of getting Mr. Thomas up to speed. Good luck!"

"Do you need help?" I heard someone ask something along those lines but I was too focused on opening my cheese stick. Why do they make the packaging so hard to open? It's like they don't want us to eat...

"Corrigan!"

It took me a split second to realize someone was calling to me and I tore my eyes from the blasted package. "Yes?"

Jimmy let out a hearty laugh and repeated himself, "I asked if you needed help."

I felt my cheeks heat up and smiled sheepishly. "Oh...I guess I was too focused on opening it myself and didn't hear you."

He gave me a warm smile, "I guess so." I could tell his laughing wasn't mean spirited so I decided to let him help me.

"Here," I thrust the cheese stick towards him, ready for the embarrassment to be over. He easily opened it and handed it back to me. I felt my cheeks prickle with heat at his ease at opening it but I tried to ignore it. "Thanks, Jimmy."

"No problem, Corrigan. Okay, so I've been thinking-"

He was interrupted by Emily, "Well that can't be good," She teased him.

Jimmy glared at her, "I was thinking...that you need a nickname!" He turned to me and gave me such a huge smile, I couldn't shoot him down right away.

"Oh, yeah?" I asked, going along with it.

"Yeah! Corrigan is a mouthful to say when I'm trying to get your attention quickly. So how about Reagan? Get it? Cor-Reagan?"

I visibly winced although I tried not to, "Well...that's a whole new name, I'm not even sure how you got that-"

"Corri," Oliver stated plainly. "Just go with Corri."

I looked at him with my eyebrows raised, having heard him speak only a couple times. "I actually like that."

"Cory? That's a boy's name!" Jimmy exclaimed.

I gave him a displeased glance, "Jimmy, please, just because I didn't pick yours doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it. Names don't adhere to a specific gender, plus it's just a nickname."

He looked a little hurt and I felt bad for being so harsh, "Hey, I'm sorry Jimmy. I just don't like that everything has to be separated my gender." I smiled at him, trying to show that I was being sincere.