9 - a nickname & tutor

Beep. Beep. Beep. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

The aggravating noise continued to get louder until I couldn't ignore it anymore. I felt around for the off button. I had already hit snooze multiple times and if I didn't get up now I knew I would be late.

The nice thing about wearing a uniform to school is that I don't have to take the time to pick out outfits in the morning. I got dressed, brushed my teeth, and put on a little bit of mascara. This was going to have to do for today.

When I got downstairs a delicious smell reached my nose. I took a big whiff and let out a content sigh.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty." I was startled, not seeing anyone when I came down. I turned around and gave Pietro a dirty look.

"I was tired, okay? Anyways, I'm ready on time, aren't I?"

"Yes, you are, I am not denying that. It's just that now you do not have time to eat the delicious waffles I made this morning."

I gaped at him, not sure I had heard him right. "You made waffles?"

He seemed a little upset, "Yes, I made them. Is it such a surprise that I am not just a pretty face?"

"Well...yes," I answered honestly. He scowled at me.

"Whatever, come on or we will be late." I quickly grabbed a waffle and my backpack and headed out the door after him.

As I walked into AP Psych, I'm surprised to see Athan talking to someone. He's big and muscular and is probably a football player. I can see he has a black eye and some cuts on his hands and face. I sit down and give Athan a smile. "Want to introduce me to your new friend? I don't believe we've met before."

"Oh, y-yeah, this is Jacob." This is him? He must have been hitting the gym since the picture of him was taken. I smile and extend a hand for him to shake.

"Nice to meet you," I say. "Looks like you got a little roughed up. Mind if I ask what happened?" I saw Athan glance nervously at him but Jacob payed him no mind.

"Oh, just got a shiner from boxing. It was a little intense and I got hurt a little bit. Nothing that won't heal in a few days." I could tell he wasn't telling the truth, but I had to admit he was good at lying.

"Well, that's unfortunate." I gave a fake sympathetic smile, "But at least, it wasn't serious." He nodded in agreement, but I continued before he could get anything in. "So is that why you weren't in class all week?" I wanted to see if I could catch him off guard with a question, but I was also curious as to what his excuse was going to be.

"No, my dad had a business trip in New York and he brought my mom and I with him to see the Big Apple. It was fun." He gave me what looked like a genuine smile.

"Oh, that's awesome!" There were many questions I wanted to ask him but I knew it would be suspicious if I did. So I did the next best thing and asked Athan a question. "So Athan, when do you want to work on our project? I already have some questions in mind, now it's just the act of going through them."

"Oh! I forgot about that.." he looked down, seeming embarrassed, a light blush on his cheeks. "I'm not sure I can meet up today. Is tomorrow okay?"

"Of course! We can work out the time later. Oh, is it okay if we meet up at my house? My parents aren't yet comfortable letting me go to other people's houses, especially boys." I winked at him which just made his blush deepen. I glanced at Jacob to see if he was listening to us at all, but he seemed engrossed in the game on his phone. Just as I was going to continue, Mr. Fredrickson walked over to us.