"You had fun today, baby?" I questioned, bidding a goodbye to Mrs. Hart before heading over to Jess' cubby. I grabbed her little backpack, hiking it over my shoulder as I walked out, listening as she rattled off her day's events. It was truly amazing to hear how her day went, and I only wished Danny could've been here to do the same. 

~*~

"Are you excited, princess? It's gonna be a lot of fun." I bent down to zip up her jacket, making sure the hat on her head was placed right. She nodded her head excitedly, and I grinned, kissing her cheek. 

"Cold, mommy?" 

"Not yet. But do you know how you're going to skate on ice?" She nodded her head. "They have to make it really cold so the ice doesn't melt."

"So we no fall in?"

"Exactly." 

The ringing of the doorbell made my heart rate speed up, and I quickly picked up Jess. I made sure I had everything before opening the door, greeting Ross with a smile. He smiled back, greeting my little girl next, who did the same. The more she saw him, the less shy she was. That was a good sign. 

"I wasn't sure if you'd be taking your car seat and putting it in my car, so I just borrowed my sister's." Ross explained, scratching the back of his neck. "I hope that's okay." 

I smiled, hoping that would relax him. "That's perfect. Thanks." 

The rink was full of people skating by the time we arrived. Couples were holding hands, friends were goofing around, and everyone was just having a great time. I could tell that Jess was getting a bit overwhelmed by the way she was burying her head in my neck, and I hoped she would be okay and enjoy herself. 

Ross paid for our admission, leading me towards the booth where we would retrieve our skates. As he asked for skates in our size, I glanced around the rink. I hadn't been ice skating since I was a little kid, and I knew I was going to fall flat on my butt. And face. 

Overall, I was going to fall. 

I helped Jess put her skates on first before putting my own on. I forgot how uncomfortable they could be, and I worried slightly that they may be hurting Jess. But her face showed no discomfort, much to my relief. 

"You guys ready?" Ross asked, getting to his feet. 

I nodded, getting to my own feet and helped Jess down from the bench. I made sure she had a grip on my hand so she wouldn't fall. I wobbled slightly as we made our way to the entrance of the rink, mentally wondering how anyone could walk in these things. They were so annoying! 

Just as we were about to step on the ice, Jess let out a whimper. "Mommy, I scared. Me no go." 

I shared a worried look with Ross before kneeling down, bringing her little hands up to my lips. "There's nothing to be scared of, honey. Nothing's going to happen to you, I promise. I have ever broken a promise before?"

She sniffled, tears brimming her eyes. "No."

"Then trust me, okay? Nothing's going to happen to you." 

She nodded, and I kissed her cheek, straightening my legs. Just when I thought we were going to step out of the ice, Ross grabbed Jess' other hand and sent me a smile. Technically he was grabbing her fingers because he grabbed the casted hand, but I found the gesture incredibly sweet. 

Once we managed to get out on the ice and gain some balance, we skated around, slow mind you, but we were still doing it. Jess was giggling and squealing, and I couldn't help but do the same. Her smile was practically overtaking her features, and it warmed my heart that she was having a lot of fun.