28: This Time (Drew's POV Bonus Chapters)

Start from the beginning

"Tell me where to park," I demand. I can't have this conversation driving. I need to give it my full attention. "And make it somewhere close."

"There's parking for the west river trail if you follow this road till the end."

Till the end of the road. It's not nearly enough time to sort through what I need to ask or say. It's too damn long to go without looking at her, and my skin crawls to touch her, to make her look at me with that trusting gaze. I promised her I wouldn't touch her, because she was hesitant about seeing me, but it's all I want to do.

By time I park, I'm about to explode, nervous energy coursing up and down my body, and I can't stay locked in the truck with her.

She slips out of the passenger seat as I approach her side of the vehicle. Her arms are wrapped around herself and she watches me with small flicks of her eyes, never lifting her head to meet my gaze, taking steps away the closer I get.

"Let's sit in the bed, it'll be easier to talk." My voice comes out calm, careful. Controlled. Exactly the opposite of how I feel, and I reach into the back seat to pull out the blanket that's always there.

I take my time spreading the thick comforter onto the open bed of the truck, until she approaches. When she's close, I abandon the blanket and turn to her.

She still won't look at me, but she doesn't back away either, and I ease towards her.

"Do you need help getting up?"

She doesn't give a response, and I don't wait for one, my hands are already gripping her hips through the big hoody she's wearing as she climbs onto the tailgate. I hang on tighter than necessary and slow her climb, making her depend on me as I lift her and hold her close all at one. Her back presses to my chest and even when she's on the truck, I don't let go. I drop my head to hers, my lips hovering just short of touching her. All she has to do is lean back towards me, give consent to this. But she's unmoving.

"Brook," I start, and she shudders at just her name, her body shaking under my hold. I drop my hands away, not wanting to force anything. "I'm sorry."

She scoots to the nearest corner of the blanket and sits cross-legged before finally looking at me as I slide myself opposite her. "For what?"

I lean against the cab of the truck and watch her for a moment, not sure what she wants me to say, not sure what I actually meant. There's a lot to be sorry for. "For everything."

Her eyes close with a sharp intake of breath, and then she asks, "What happened?"

That's the same question I've been asking myself since I heard she left with that bastard Friday night. That's the question that's been beating through my bones, tormenting me every time her phone went to voicemail. That's the question that I wanted to force her to answer. But it's also the question that I no longer give a fuck about as I watch her now. Not when she looks so broken huddled in her sweater. Right now, seeing her, all I want is to know that despite whatever the hell happened, we'll get through it. That she'll let me help her get through it. That she'll help me get through it.

"I spent the whole ride here thinking what I would say to you. Hell, I've been thinking of what I should say to you since Tatum showed up Friday. There's so much I want to ask, so much I want to say. But..." I stop myself from reaching for her, not sure what the I'm trying to say or do, but I keep trying. "Now you're in front of me, and I can't think of where to start. Because all I can think right now is that I had you. For a short time, you were mine, and now I'm not sure. I'm not sure what you're thinking. I'm not sure if you can accept everything, because I'm not sure I'd be able to accept it all if the roles were reversed. But I am sure I want you to be my girl again. I'm sure I want to hold you right now. I want to kiss you."