III. "and then we were dancing"

Rose took one day the opportunity to introduce me to her three closest friends, we joined down the street.
« So you're Linda ! » the one whose name was Dorothee told me with her largest smile, discovering all her white teeth.
« Rose told us a lot about you ! » the one whose name was Michelle exclaimed. They began to laugh, joined by the third one, Lorraine, who seemed more reserved.
I turned myself to Rose with an amused little smile. She looked away, cheeks and ears pinky. Then we went for a walk through the town, with the three girls. Each of them was very well dressed, chic, like they said. I was the only one in trousers.
While walking, we talked. Girls got some information about me, and I learnt more about them. Especially about Lorraine, who was just talking about her husband, that she called Paul.
« And how about you Rose ? » Michelle asked interrupting her friend.
This question seemed to embarass her, her gaze was troubled. She finally replied by an unclear little « fine », then she proposed us to enter in the record store which was just on our right.

Little gigglings could be heard at the back of the store. The three girls was together in a corner, whispering and laughing. Something was definitely amusing them. I joined them to discover the reason of it.
« But you're too old for him anyway ! » Michelle hurled very low teasing Dorothee.
« And so you are a way too young ! » the latter sniggered pinching her cheek.
They were discreetly watching the salesman, who seemed to please them.
« Well, personally I prefer my Paul. »
At this sentence, Michelle exploded, and hide her mouth straight away, blushing.
« Oh, love ! » Dorothee sighed, « and you, how do you find him ? » she continued talking to me this time.
« Look at his eyes ! Isn't he charming ?! » Michelle said excited.
All of them was looking at me, looking forward to my answer, and not that far, Rose, who seemed focused searching a disc in particular since her coming, was keeping her ears open, curious. I nodded with an awkward « yes ». None of them looked surprised in front of my hesitation. I was simply shy, it was surely what they had concluded, however the reality was something else...
Then, the three girls carried on laughing their heads off until we left the store ; when Rose finished her shopping.

We then stopped on the place with the fountain, near from Rose's home. Michelle, obviously in a good shape, jumped on the frozen fountain and ridiculously mimicked an ice dancer. I was looking at her show, laughing.
« Stop, you silly ! You're going to fall ! » Dorothee grumbled.
Suddenly a snow ball surprised the dancer who lost the balance and almost fell. Dorothee couldn't help but burst out laughing without any complex.
« Right in the face ! » Lorraine cried out proud of her shot.
I naturally smiled, diverted by the scene. At the same time, I felt a little bump in my back. I turned around. Rose, who was standing few meters away behind me, seemed to have tried to catch my attention. She was looking atme, a big mocking smile in the middle of her face, a little pile of snow ball at her feet. She let me the time to ripost before using her munitions. I picked some snow and clumsily formed a ball before throwing it at her.

It was around six hours in the evening when we went back home. The night had already fallen, and only the street lights were illuminating our path. My cheekbones were chill. They raised when I smiled, thinking of this gay day we had, thinking of Rose, who had grabbed my arm, walking by my side.
Once we were in her livingroom, she walked smiling to the phonograph with the country music album she had just bought. She put the reader-head on the disc.The music spreading from the horn reminded me of my family. I thought a moment of my brother, he used to play guitar, and sometimes after the diner, I joined him and sing on nostalgic tunes. I remembered also my grand-mother, she was moving her head to the rythm of the melody, dreaming away.
I came back from my thought when I saw the hand that Rose was holding me ; she was inviting me to dance !
I put a hand on her shoulder, she put a hand on my waist, and we were holding each other, and turning, stamping. Her eyes were sparkling, she was joyful, she was beautiful.
And then, we were dancing, also laughing of course because we were clumsy, but in the middle of her orangy livingroom, we were dancing.

Picture: Paris in the 1930s