Chapter 5: Bullies Fight

"Ichigo," I say again in a low voice as I look down at hand that is clenched to my arm.

"Just, don't go yet," he says his eyes pleading. His face shows no signs of evilness that it did before. Darn it, now I can't call him an obnoxious jerk.

"Ok, I'll stay for a little bit," I say as I sit on the steps. I pat the seat next to me. He sits beside me, but doesn't say a word. "I'm sorry about Rihito."

"Why are you talking to me?" Ichigo asks.

"What do you mean?" I ask in confusion. He sighs as he looks at me in the eyes.

"What I mean is, why are you being nice to me when I almost killed you a few days ago?" He corrects himself.

"I haven't exactly forgiven you yet for what you did to me or what you have done to others as well, but even so, what Rihito did to you... I just didn't think that was right," I explain. He actually listens to my explanation. "He was your friend." He nods in understanding. He sighs heavily.

"Sorry," he apologizes. Did he just apologize? Wow, Rihito must have really gotten to him.

"For what?" I ask confused.

"For bullying you," he explains simply without looking at me.

"Oh, it's fine," I say. I'm not saying that I forgive him because I don't... yet. I mean, 1 apology isn't going to make up for all the times he bullied me.

"I've always been like this ever since I was young," Ichigo explains, "I'm guessing Haru probably told you."

"Yeah," I respond, "Sorry, but it was me who asked about you and Rihito." Ichigo looks surprised for a second but then he shrugs his shoulders.

"It's fine," he says, "I don't really mind." I nod in understanding. "My dad is just like me really. He's mean and rude and obnoxious. I'm also mean, rude, and obnoxious. Just like you said when you walked me to the main office." Ha, at least he admits that he's obnoxious.

"Wait, you heard that?" I ask in panic. He nods. "Sorry about that."

"Don't worry, it's not like I haven't heard it before," he replies, "I won't bully you anymore." I stare at him with my eyebrows raised. I'm not sure whether or not to believe him. "I promise."

"Ok," I say as I nod my head, "But, now I don't have an excuse to call you an obnoxious jerk." Oops, I should not have said that. Ichigo looks at me for a minute before stifling a laugh.

"You can still call me that, if you want to," Ichigo allows. I laugh at his response and nod.

"Yay," I say in happiness. Ichigo smiles beside me. Silence falls upon us after that. Ichigo sighs again. "Wanna be partners for this project?" Ichigo looks at me again in shock.

"You really want to be partners with me?" He asks. I look at him and smile.

"Yeah," I say, "I'd rather be with you than Rihito and everybody else in the class." Ichigo stares at me for a while before nodding.

"Sure," he replies, "Thanks." I nod again. He sighs again and I hear him take a few deep breaths. "Rocky."

"Yeah?" I ask. He bites his lip as he looks at me square in the face.

"Can I hang out with you, Haru, Ryu, Take?" He asks. I could tell that that was hard for him to ask because he didn't breath at all as he asked that. I think for a moment before I sigh. Ichigo is trying to turn things around. He's realized that what he's been doing is wrong and now he's trying to make things right. Everybody deserves a second chance. I should give him a chance.