Preface

Silence.  Nothing. No trees swaying to the gentle breeze. The birds' usual song wasn't heard for miles. It was unusually quiet.

The snow shimmered down off the tree branches, as I walked along the half-frozen shoreline. It hasn't always been this quiet. There were always parties with big picnics and families. It was even active in the wintertime; snowshoeing and sledding.

Not today, not on this chilly March day.  I was the only one, the only thing on this beach. Sitting down, I toyed with the necklace in my hand. It was a compass, hooked to a silver chain, and left with me when my parents died.

Don't get me wrong, I love this necklace but I have that weird feeling that fumes and bubbles in your stomach. It gives off the vibe that it's dangerous. If only I could figure out why.

Finding a tree that fell last fall, I sit down and take a deep breath. It smelt like old pine needles that are spewed along the ground. The warm pulsing blood from the nearby heard of elk, salty and sweet with a hint of bitterness.

My throat closed up, and my head started pounding. Grabbing at my neck, I clench my teeth and force my eyes shut. The pain burned like someone shoved a flaming needle in my throats and was poking a million little holes.

Taking in another breath the smell of the elk was very faint. The pine needles making more of an overpowering smell. Loosening my grip to my neck I sigh and continue walking.