Chapter Twenty-Seven: Charlie

Start from the beginning

Ginny was starting to get that haunted look, which made me realize that she didn't need to revisit the moment when she and Ty got separated.

I quickly changed the subject. "She sure does seem really great. Hey, do you know how to play cards?"

She laughed at the swift subject change. "Only Old Maid. And Crazy Eights. Maybe Go Fish."

"No, no, no," I said in mock horror. "I meant real card games. Like poker."

"Nope. No poker. Ty knows how to play, though. Sometimes he plays with his high school friends."

"Well, when I was in the back bedroom, I found a couple of decks of cards. What do you think about learning how to play well enough so you can beat your brother?"

Her eyes lit up. "Show me."

So for the next hour or so, I showed her how to play the game. Ginny and I joked around a lot during the process. It was fun and I hadn't had real fun in a long while.

I looked up at one point and saw that Mallory was in the doorway, watching us with an expression I really couldn't read. I wondered how long she'd been studying us.

Ginny saw the direction of my gaze and said, "Hi Mallory! Charlie is showing me how to win at poker."

"It's a survival skill in the new world," I said with a smile.

I saw just a hint of a smile from Mallory at me before she gave Ginny a full grin. "Sounds like you'll be beating me, then. I haven't played since college."

I quickly stood up and handed Mallory a plate of food. "Breakfast for you, madam," I said with a mock bow.

She gave me a slightly reproving look, although I could tell she was starting to melt a little. Unless it was just wishful thinking on my part.

"Thanks," she said, quickly looking away. "Ginny, catch me up to speed on poker so I won't lose too badly."

"Don't you do it, Ginny!" I said. "Make her learn by losing."

It was good to have that sort of banter happening. It helped make the horror of the last week get pushed into the background a little.

A few minutes later, Ty was up. "Could you guys be any louder?" he asked sleepily, looking and sounding like a normal teenage boy for the first time since I met him. I was glad to see the teen side—he'd been way too mature for his age and had too much responsibility. Life and death responsibility.

"Want some breakfast?" Mallory asked. "Charlie made it for us."

To my surprise, Ty shook his head. "No appetite this morning, sorry. Maybe later on."

I said, "You are a teenage boy, right?"

He smiled at me. "Yeah, but I can't eat when I first wake up. Need to move around some first."

Ginny said, "Ty, want to throw the ball outside for Mojo with me?"

Mallory froze. I could tell she cared a lot for Ginny and didn't want her even thinking about being outside. If she had her way, Ginny would probably stay inside the barricaded house—safe and secure—for years.

The thing was, though, that since she had decided not to share her concerns with Ginny, Ginny saw no reason not to go outside. Because this house had been billed as a safe house by Mallory herself.

Ginny frowned, uncertain why no one was answering and why everyone had gotten tense all of a sudden. "Is something wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," I said lightly, "except for your brother's odd disinterest in food, that is. Go on outside. Mojo will love it."

Ty glanced back and forth between Mallory and me, trying to get a feel for what he should do. When Ginny had gone into the back of the house to get the ball, I mimed a gun, indicating that he should take it with him. "And be sure to keep an eye out," I added in a low voice.

Ty gave a quick nod and a couple of minutes later he and his sister and an excited Mojo ran outside.

Mallory was strained and silent again and I hated that it seemed like we'd lost any of the ground we'd made that morning. I cleared my throat. "Mojo is real good about pinpointing zombie activity. He can smell them from a huge distance away. And you can't miss it when he does because he starts growling and his fur stands up on his back."

Mallory sighed. "I just don't want them out there. Not considering what I saw."

"I know it's got to be tough on you, Mallory. It's been a really rough week," I said in my most understanding voice. Although I didn't actually completely understand—I just wanted to.

"You think you understand, but you don't," she said almost absently as she stared out the window at the kids playing.

"You're right. Then tell me what's wrong," I urged.

She gave a harsh laugh. "What's wrong? What isn't wrong? I see a new friend of mine get attacked by zombies as he tries rescuing me. I see a girl who was almost kidnapped and taken away by a gang. I experience a retirement home overrun with zombies. And my best friend in the world is hanging around me in the hopes of attacking me."

I was quiet for a few moments and then said, "If it helps at all, remember that these infected people aren't thinking at all. They're just reacting. It's not like Annie wishes you harm in any way. And I know you've gone through a nightmare. We've all gone through a nightmare. But it seems to me like there's something more. Maybe something that happened before the infection started."

Mallory still stared through the window, this time looking blankly out it and not really seeming to see the kids.

I said, "I went through a divorce pretty recently. I know what it's like to get hurt in a relationship."

She gave that hard laugh again. "Not like this."

"I'm sure that's true. But all I want is to be friends," I lied. "I want to have a stress-free environment for us all to relax in. Because it sure as heck ain't stress-free out there," I said, motioning out the window. "Can we have a truce?"

Mallory hesitated and looked at the hand I had outstretched for her to shake. Slowly, she reached out to shake it. "It wasn't about you," she said softly.

"I know that," I said with a smile. "Because you don't even know me."

It got a little easier from that point. We had a good working relationship for the next couple of weeks. But it wasn't exactly what I wanted from Mallory. I wanted more.

"Race to Refuge" under pen name Liz Craig is available now on Amazon (at http://amzn.to/1SCKnHa ) , Nook, Kobo, CreateSpace, and other major retailers. All of my books are also available at Amazon India at https://tinyurl.com/ohdbffq . I'll post a chapter each week, but if you can't wait, please visit one of the listed retailers for the completed book. Follow me on Twitter (elizabethscraig), sign up for my newsletter for a free ebook at http://eepurl.com/kCy5j , or visit my website at Elizabethspanncraig.com for more information. Hope you'll enjoy the book. Please vote on the chapter if you enjoy it.