Part 16

"It's okay to not be okay."

Camila rested her forehead against her locker as she stared at the ground. A small puddle had formed in front of her feet of which was from the tears dripping down her face. She was trying to contain her sniffles but her breaths kept getting heavier and heavier, harder for her to breath.

"Mila, are you okay? We heard-" Dinah murmured, sympathy evident in her tone. She placed a hand on her captain only to get it shrugged off by the other girl.

"I'm f-fine." Camila stammered interrupting the taller girl. She forced her eyes shut, a pelt of the salty substance escaping by it.

"Mila..." Normani tried.

"I said I'm fine." The Cuban gritted through her teeth. She clenched her jaw and made a fist with her hand.

"Look, Camila we know what you're going through-" Normani counseled but was soon cut off when she heard a bang coming from the locker making her and the other girls flinch. Camila's fist was driven in the metal panel.

The volleyball setter whipped her head towards her teammates and glared at them. Her eyes were puffy red and her nose flared up.

"No you don't." She hissed. "You don't know what I'm going through. So stop pretending and telling me that you do!"

"Camila, she's our friend too!" Ally spoke up, raising her voice for the very first time ever.

"But she's my best friend!" Camila howled as her breathing became harder to control and uneven. "She's my be-... I-I can't do this." She backed up until her back hit the lockers. "I c-can't be here."

Dinah looked at her best friend and immediately felt despondent for the girl. She saw how hurt and broken Camila was. She took a step forward to comfort her but Camila raised her arm out.

"No, no, no." Camila cried frantically completely breaking down. She slid down and sobbed. "Please." She whispered in a devastated tone. "J-just... just leave me alone. There's nothing you c-can do to make me feel better. I n-need her."

Normani and Ally turned their head at Dinah. They all shared the same look and understood. Camila needed space but they couldn't just leave her so the three girls decided that it'd be best if Dinah were to stay.

"Mila... we can't leave you by yourself, so Ally and I will go to class and Dinah will stay here with you." Normani explained carefully as their captain pulled her knees to her chest. "We'll see you at lunch, okay?"

There was no response. The dark skinned girl looked up at Dinah and sighed in defeat. Dinah flashed a small smile before nodding them off. She gave Normani a small peck on the cheek then let them go on their way.

"We love you, Mila." Ally stated filled with compassion as they departed.

The two girls walked away, leaving Dinah with Camila. The Polynesian ran her hand through her thick hair and looked at her best friend. She slowly prowled next to where the smaller girl sat and stealthily plopped down next to her.

There was awkward tension between the two. Camila wanted to be left alone while Dinah wanted to comfort the other girl but didn't know how.

"I know you say you want to be alone right now, but you and I both know that you don't." Dinah uttered in a concerned voice. "I'm here, Mila. Please let me be here for you."

Camila lifted her head up and craned it at Dinah. She stared at her blankly as her mouth quivered. Her eyebrows were knitted together and her doe eyes filled up with water.