Chapter 4

Sage POV:

For the rest of my trip at the beach, I tried to shake the weird feeling this whole situation was giving me, but I found it was impossible. I waded through the water, lost in thought, when a voice startled me.

"Hey." I sighed in relief.

"Hey Colton." My voice was quiet, still brooding.

"You seem... different."

"I'm not the same, Cole. I have people now. People who care about me. I... I've changed, Coley. I get it now. I get why Mo - Rachel hated me. I was plain, and boring, and not superb at anything. But now, I'm rich. I became a business woman and worked my arse off to be where I am. If that's not enough for Rachel, nothing is! I don't get it. You never got anywhere. All you do is play basketball and video games and I live in a mansion!"
My voice got shriller and angrier by the second. Suddenly, I felt warm, rough hands on my shoulders.

"Woah there, kitty. No need to go all crazy cat on your bro!" Austin joked. My face turned red with rage and my green eyes darkened, a creepy thing they did when I got angry. I whirled and slapped him, straight across the face.

"I AM NOT A KITTY!" I shrieked. Then, I realized everybody at the beach was stating at us and whispering... and they whispers could not be good. Next, I saw a bright red handprint on Austin's flawless face. And finally, I saw hurt flash through Colton's eyes.

"Coley..." I tried, glancing desperately at my brother. He clenched his jaw and glared at the ground.

"Save it. I do nothing, remember? Why waste your time apologizing to a piece of crap who does nothing?" His voice was gruff from trying not to cry. He scoffed when he glanced at me, a bitter look crossing his face.

"Now I get why Mom always hated you," he said coldly, and I gasped, his words like a cold, sharp knife, twisting in my heart. I immediately saw the regret pass his face but before he could open his mouth, I took  a step back, my mouth hanging open.

"I - I'll be in the car," I choked out, before turning and running back to the car. I got in, sobbing my heart out.

"Hey," a gentle voice said. My head snapped up as I glanced at...

"Zach? Why are you... in my car?" I asked slowly. He stared at me before speaking again.

"Because you're crying and you feel lonely and you shįtty friends aren't here to help you." I stared at the leather upholstery in the car.

"Oh," I muttered. Zach smiled and said in a girly voice,

"Tuen that frown, upside down! Goooo Tiger!" I laughed as he dragged me out of the car and started to do a cheer routine, making me forget my tears and fall over laughing.

"How - How do y -you know a ch - cheer routine?!?" I choked out between laughs. Zach stopped and chuckled too.

"My sister... she was a cheerleader." His voice was quiet, but almost sad. I touched his buff arm gently.

"Zach?" I said softly. He shook his head and cracked a beautiful smile.

"Let's go swimming!" he said cheerfully, making me frown. Like, is this guy bipolar? But then I laughed as he dragged me back to the beach and I felt a lot better. So much in fact, that I almost forgotten about what Colton had said.

A/N hey!! lana here. ok so i just want to say i checked my discontinued book, taming the tomboy, and say i had like 71 views! woah. like thats crazy, especially for a discontinued story. so, lets see if we can get to 59 views on this whole book!!! and like 15 votes... thanks so much! i know my updates are like once a week, but im always really busy. its hard for me to update and i want to say im sorry. anyways,
xox lana