thirteen

Sunday. The day we left for Christmas break.

Van had to be at the airport at 12:00 pm, and his flight left at 2:00. I would obviously be there to see him off.

We woke up at 8:00, and we had breakfast in our hall's cafeteria. Sunday breakfasts were easily the best of the week: eggs Benidict or waffles. I always got waffles, and Van always got eggs Benidict.

He looked up at me with a mouth full and said, "I just want to say this is the best breakfast I've ever had." I smiled. I was content with knowing he was happy for now. God's knows he would be miserable when we had to say goodbye.

After we finished eating, we went back to our room. Most people had already left, and there was only 2 other people in our corridor. We dressed in comfy clothes, as after I said goodbye to Van I was driving to my parents house in San Francisco.

*

The drive to the airport was full of Van's terrible DJ'ing skills. It was always like this; he didn't have his lisence in America becuase he doesn't plan on living here permanently. "Stop. Let this song play the whole way through," I yelled at him. It was Black by Pearl Jam, possibly my favourite song of all time. He shook his head knowingly, "I wouldn't dare change it love."

Van checked in and went through security, and I went ahead and got us lunch. This airport had a hallway that lead you the gate without going through security. It was nice becuase that way I could stay with Van until he boarded the plane.

"Why is airport food so shitty?" I asked while we ate french fries. "It's the exact same as what we eat at school dip shit," Van said straight faced before he burst out laughing becuase he had called me dip shit. Punching his shoulder lightly, I laughed as I said, "I can't believe you called me a dip shit."

Neither of us knew how to address what was about to happen. Both of us were going to be without our other half for a month. My heart was torn into millions of prices at the thought.

"Follow me," Van whispered, dragging me behind him.

Van pulled us away into a smaller room around the corner that was empty. He was visably nervous. In an almost whisper he said,"My flight is boarding in 5 minutes, and if I don't say this now I'll lose my fucking mind. I love you Ryn Gilmore. I've loved since that night at the skatepark when you were so pissed at me but talked anyways. You are the sweetest, kindest person that I have ever met. Ryn, you make me incredibly happy. I didn't want to fall in love, but I did. I needed to tell you."

I wasn't taken aback by this at all. I knew we both loved each other a lot, but both of us were too stubborn to admit we had fallen for our best friend. "Van, you're not very good at hiding things. Neither am I, so I hope you know my answer," I said. I intwined my fingers after I had wrapped my arms ms around his neck. "Now," I breathed, " kiss me."

His kiss was slow, sweet, and filled with admiration for me. It didn't last long; just a flicker into the love we shared. He held me in his embrace until they called for his flight to board.

I looked into his eyes. In something lower than a whisper, I asked, "Are we still roommates?" As he pushed the hair off of my cheek he said, "We're so much more baby."

Ahh so this is the end!! I want to say thank you every one who read this book. You guys are so sweet, even if you don't comment or vote. I want to give special thanks to my babes Trufitadechocolate xocaitxo and gettoparaffin for being sweethearts and commenting super nice things. You girls keep me going. I love you guys.
- cal