eleven

Friday. 2 days before we left for Christmas break.

I only had two days left to spend with my best friend before he left for Wales. I was really sad that he wasn't going to be able to see my family's holiday traditions. Of course I had other friends, but no one was as close to me as Van.

I could tell being away from me for a month upset him greatly, but neither of us could do anything. We stood still and time kept spinning faster.

We had decided to exchange presents today so we could spend tomorrow packing and just hanging out. The pice limit was $100 dollars, although both of us went over it.

His small bed was covered in gifts. As we sat in the mound, he blushed. "I hope you like your presents love," he said. I found it sweet that he was nervous. I, on the other hand, knew he'd love my gifts. Similing, I said, "I'm sure I'll love them. Now, open my gifts first."

Van looked like a child when he tore through the wrapping paper. After he opened and sorted through everything, he yelled, "Thank you thank you thank you!" and tackled me into a bear hug. I had gotten the sweater he liked from American Apparel, some original Van Morrison vinyls, and a new pedal for his guitar. I was glad he liked them, I had spent forever getting everything together.

Van was beaming until it was time for me to open my gifts. His face went serious, and he stuttered with his words. "So, y-you, um got my a lot of stuff, and I, uh only got you two things." "Van, I don't care how many things you got me," I said as he handed me the delicately wrapped boxes. Carefully, I unwrapped the bigger of the pair. It was a beat up leather journal filled with words. "I know what you're thinking," Van said, "I know it's not what you wanted, but I wanted you to have it. It's all the songs I wrote this semester." I was shocked. "Van, I love it," I smiled and leant over to kiss his cheek. He blushed a deep scarlet. "Okay, now open the other one," he chided. When I opened the second present I started crying. It was a teardrop shaped locket with the picture his friend took us at the park. I'm smiling and Van is pressing a kiss to my cheek. On the back, the words forever my princess were engraved. I was speechless.

"Van, I love it so much. I love everything about it," I whispered through tears. Van smiled and it looked like the weight of the world was lifted off his shoulders. "I'm glad Ryn. I hope you don't mind me using that nickname for the back," he said. I smiled, "Of course I don't knobhead. Now, put it on me."

I hate the crysilids so much. I thought everyone should know. Hope you guys are having a good day <3
- cal