Chapter 6

TRIGGER WARNING :(

***

My reflection took possession of almost all of the mirror's surface area. In the darkness of the bathroom, I couldn't make out my uneven eyebrows that I despised, or the ugly stretch marks on my stomach. But I knew they were there.

I liked the eerie gloom that lingered throughout the bathroom. Switching on a light was too much effort, what would be the point of it? All it would do was expose my flaws that I had tried so hard to conceal.

The very flaws that threw me into a mess that I couldn't quite escape from. The very flaws that resulted in a catastrophe. The catastrophe that resulted in the scars. And the scars that resulted in the permanent reminder of my past.

After Jack left I didn't hesitate to run back home. Luckily for me, Irene and Chris were still at the Diner, and Nate was still working at the hospital.

I pushed Hunter away. Again. I didn't want him to see me like this. Insecure. Helpless. Broken.

Seeing Jack was enough to push me over the edge again. I thought I could handle him, but I was wrong. It was almost as if he was the key to the cage where all my demons were stowed, and one look was all it took to release them.

I ran my fingers over the slits on my wrist and on my thighs. One more wouldn't make much of a difference.

I flinched slightly as the cold metal made contact with my skin. The blade was sharp, but I couldn't feel it. My skin was numb, and so was my mind.

Numb to the emotions. The pain. The truth.

With every cut I felt more and more at ease. It was the only way I could relieve myself of the pain that had been bottled up for weeks, threatening to find a way to escape.

"Olivia!"

A knock on the door awoke me from my current actions.

"Who is it?" I called out as I quickly tried to get rid of any evidence that would hint at what I was doing in the bathroom.

"It's Chris, hurry up!"

"One second!"

Before I could finish putting away the blade and wiping my tear stained cheeks, I heard the door swing open.

"Chris! I told you to just give me a minute!"

"Have you been crying?"

"Just leave me alone!"

***

I let my fingers trace over the scars on my legs as I sat in solitude in my locked room. No one had bothered coming to my room yet, and my phone wasn't flooded with messages from Hunter, or anyone else for that matter.

I contemplated whether or not I should've spoken to Hunter after what Jack had said, but then again, what was the point? He wouldn't listen to me anyway. One of the biggest reasons why I didn't want Hunter, or anyone else, to know about my past was because no one would listen to why I did what I did.

No one would understand, or listen to the reasoning behind any of it. Everyone only believed what they wanted to hear, which is why I couldn't be bothered going after Hunter, and why I wasn't going to try and talk to him anytime soon.

Hunter's POV

"Someone's in a bad mood today," Zac commented as I stormed into the house.

"Have you ever heard something that someone was obviously trying to keep from you, and it just changes how you feel about a person?"

"Start from the beginning please," Zac said as he tried to process all the information I had just thrown at him.

"It's a long story."

"I have time."

"Okay. Well it all began when I found out that Olivia has a boyfriend from London that goes to our school-"

"Wait, hold on," Zac interjected. "How does any of that concern you?"

"Uh, we're like kind of going out," I rolled my eyes at Zac's ignorance. "Anyway, so her apparent 'boyfriend' called Jack-"

"Jack Wright?"

"Yes! Please stop interrupting me!"

"Alright, carry on."

"So anyway, I found out that he was her boyfriend and I didn't know what to do so I just left. Then this afternoon when she tried to explain, he came back again and started flashing her sister's will around in her face."

"She has a sister?"

"Yeah, she's not alive anymore."

"What happened to her?"

"Apparently Olivia killed her."

"What!" Zac gasped.

"Yeah, I'm just as shocked as you are. I just don't know what to do." I sighed deeply, relieved that a burden of emotions were now off my shoulders.

"I think you should talk to her. There has to be some sort of explanation-"

"What! No! I can't do that!" I cut Zac off.

"Uh yeah you can," VJ remarked.

"It's not that simple VJ!"

"Yeah, it is that simple. Man up and talk to her! Don't lose her Hunter."

***
Olivia's POV

"Hey girly," Irene said as I made my way down the stairs. "Chris told me about what happened before. Do you want to talk to me about anything?"

"No, why?"

"No reason, I just want you to know that I'm always here if you want to talk to someone."

"You won't want to listen to me when you find out what I've done," I mumbled to myself.

"What was that?"

"Nothing," I reassured her.

"Well I'm always here for you-"

"Olivia! Is Olivia home?" Hunter interjected as he stormed into the house, before making eye contact with me.

"What do you want Hunter?"

"I want to talk to you."

***
I took Hunter outside after he had claimed that he wanted some time to converse with me.

"You have five minutes. Say what you want."

"Jack said you had a sister.  And you killed her. True or false?"

I couldn't bear to maintain eye contact with him.

"True or false Olivia!"

"True," I said softly after a minute of hesitation.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't tell you because I knew how you'd react!"

"How could you know how I'd react? You don't even know me!"

"I could say the same thing about you!" I spat back at him. "You've know me for what, a few weeks now? You're just like everyone else! You only believe what you want to hear! You don't know the reasons behind anything!"

"I thought you trusted me!"

"I do!" I objected.

"Then why didn't you tell me? Why Olivia!"

"Because you wouldn't understand!"

I paused to regain my breath before turning away from Hunter.

"I don't think this is gonna work out. I'm sorry Olivia."

. . . . . .

Thoughts on this chapter? This is my favourite so far!

Dream impossible dreams x

Chantelle