Chapter 25

"Jake," she breathed. She dropped her bags at the threshold of the pack house, and rushed forward to hug her cousin. He welcomed her with open arms, tightening his grip once she was in his grasp.

"Hey, kid," she chuckled at his stupid nickname, squeezing his torso tighter. Nathaniel loitered inside the front door, hands shoved in his pockets. He averted his eyes from the sight, feeling awkward for witnessing such a personal reunion. Adriane pulled away from Jake, happy tears in her eyes. She turned away from Jake, gesturing towards Nathaniel.

"Jake, this is my mate, Nathaniel." Jake glanced over at him, sending an acknowledging nod but nothing else. Nathaniel showed just as little emotion. Ever since the morning, Nathaniel has been curt with her, saying as little as possible. She knew he was still upset about the virgin situation. On the way back to Wisconsin, Nathaniel told her he would rather take the bus. He didn't want to try to shift in case things went wrong. The long ours of sitting next to each other on a cramped bus in complete silence was nothing less than uncomfortable. She tried bringing the topic up time and time again. She wanted to right the problems she had made with him. Yet, he would either ignore, or he would tell her he wanted to just think. Adriane eventually got the silent memo that he wanted to be left alone and slumped gloomily in her seat.

She sighed between the two brooding men. She looked between the both of them, feeling the tension in their stares as neither refused to break eye contact first.

"So! Nathaniel knows the Company better than any of us. We should head towards the office and talk plans?" She asked, stiffness lacing her tone. Nathaniel looked away from the staring match he was having with Jake to grunt in acknowledgment of Adriane's words. She bit her lip, hurt that he still wouldn't meet her eyes. Jake looked over at his cousin before nodding.

"I'll gather Finn, Jensen, Mark and Jeff. I might as well grab Dad as well. You can lead Nathaniel to the room as I get everyone else." Jake left them to their devices. The quietness bothered Adriane. She stared straight at him, willing to make him look at her with her mind. He stared out the window next to the door Jake just left.

"We should start towards the office." Adriane said loudly, twisting herself to look face to face with Nathaniel. He finally looked at her. Disappointment and anger, along with traces of hurt filled his eyes. She flinched back, guilt enveloping her entire being.

"Let's go then." Nathaniel stated. Adriane nodded quickly, trying her best not to show how bad she felt. She knew he didn't want to hear anything about it, and all that came to her mind were apologies she could spew his way.

She started down the halls, going this way and that. Nathaniel slunk along behind her, taking in the decorations that had been placed around. She bit her lip to keep her from saying something to him. She opened the door to the office, walking straight to one of the seats and sat down.

Once again, the silence was deafening. She stared blankly at her fingers. After a while, Nathaniel heaved a heavy sigh. She tried not to let her hope swell at the noise.

"I'm sorry. I've overreacted." He muttered to her. She sucked in a breath. It rang loudly in the still air.

"No, I'm sorry. I should have waited." She replied, scared to look at him. She didn't want him to clam up as soon as she glanced at him. Another silence lapsed over.

"I guess you probably want to know about my background since you told me yours."

"Oh, I mean, if you want to. You don't have to. I mean, I'd like to know, but if you... You know... Don't want to..." She stumbled over her words, a blush heating her face. A deep chuckle was close behind her. She jumped in surprise and peeked over her shoulder to see him making his way around her chair. He rested against the desk across from her chair. His hands were stuffed in his pockets as per usual. He looked down at her; a soft smile on his face. His eyes still held some traces of betrayed emotions, but they were slowly weakening into nothing.