Chapter 4 (Four) - Are we there yet?

"Mum, could you drive any faster? We've practically been in the same spot for the past 20 minutes, you were telling me to hurry up, when the appointment is at 2pm, when it's 10:21..." I moaned.

"Well this is why we woke up early, you'll never know if there would be traffic or not, so if you leave earlier, by the time you pass all that traffic, you'll be early to wherever you're going." She replied.

"That doesn't make any sense at all." I said.

"Well just be quiet and wait until we get there."

"But I'm bored."

"If you're bored, read a book."

"Books are boring."

"No, books will give you knowledge instead of going on MY phone or your iPod. You know when I was your age, I never had an iPod, laptop, or TV in my bedroom, and all that other stuff you have." She lectured.

"Oh here we go AGAIN." I wailed.

"Fine. Be like that, but for now, just don't speak, I need to concentrate on the road."

"Can you at least put the radio on?"

"Marylin... Please. Shut. UP!"

"Someone's time of the month maybe?" I said under my breath, hoping she wouldn't hear.

"What was that?" She questioned.

"Oh, nothing"

"No, if you got something to say, make sure you say it louder."

"Oh it's nothing mum haha." I sarcastically joked.

"Better not be."

"Ha. Bitch" I mumbled.

She looked back at me, and gave me a horrid look.

I guess she wasn't playing about. The most I could possibly do was sleep, although I couldn't, because then I'd be too tired for the interview. I was feeling a bit dizzy on the other hand though from constantly staring at the window, waiting for something exciting to happen.

There was a lot of silence in the car, and I didn't like that. I never knew going apply for a school would take this long.

"Mum, are we there yet?" I asked.

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"No darling we're not."

"Are we there yet?"

"No!"

"Are we there yet?"

"No, we're not!!"

"Are we there yet?"

"Say are we there yet once more and I'll show you where you'll be!" She yelled.

"Are we there now?"

"MARYLIN GRACE JENKINS!"

You know your in deep trouble when your mum or parents call you by your full name.

"What? You said if I say are we there yet, and I said are we there NOW. There is a big difference."

"Marylin, don't play smart with me."

I ignored her, and un-buckled my seatbelt so I could be free to stretch out my legs on her leather car seats. Or should I say MY leather car seats since she used my child benefit to buy them. I should sue her for that!

I used the front of my foot to remove my converse, from the back, and repeated the same step with my other foot. Before I knew it, I had dozed off. I was officially in la la land... La la land was basically the place I dreamt, to relieve all my stress. I call it la la cause as soon as you get there your just speechless. Words can't describe how you'd feel. It's like how they describe heaven in the bible.

That's how lala land was, just that only things that I loved where there. So all my favourite foods and such. I was busy drinking from the chocolate fountain.

Since chocolate calms me down when I'm depressed. Then I could feel a hand tapping my shoulder. But it wasn't from inside the dream.

"Marylin, wake up!"

My eyes began to rise slowly, as I was a bit blinded from the ray of sunlight which beamed through the car window.

"What?"

"We're there c'mon."

My mum just had to wake me up! I sat back up, and searched for my converses, on the floor of the car, but they weren't there.

"Mum! Have you seen my shoes?"

"Yes, their here."

She held them in her right hand, near the roof of the car as she waited for me to get out of the car. So I finally got out the car, and put on my converses, as she locked the windows, and car.

"Now I know you might be nervous, but just be calm, and take a deep breath." she advised.

"Who said I was nervous?" I asked. Raising an eyebrow.

"Oh. I thought you would be."

She held my hand as we began to get closer to the application centre. Holding it tighter and tigther after every step, fixing her side fringe, as it kept falling right in-front of her eyes. We entered the building, it smelt like an old retirement home. You know that smell? The smell of old people, well most old people. And it also had that new carpet smell. It certainly didn't look new, looked like it was made with dirty socks, cause it was hard and the colour looked filthy.

"Mrs Jenkins, your right on time, you and your daughter can take a seat." Said an asian woman, with jet black hair which was tied back, green eyes, blue jeans and a green & yellow jacket that said "Student Application Center - Janitor"

If she was the janitor why was she talking to us? Isn't she meant to be cleaning toilets or something?