Chapter 12: Our Emmy

I'll admit I was a little nervous seeing King again for the first time. Even though Erica and I had been done for a year, I hadn't seen King in almost two.

With him living out in Miami with Ms. Sonia I saw him only a few times during the period of Erica and I dating the first time.

I'm sure King wasn't going to have a problem with me being there. He was too sweet of a kid to think like that . I just didn't want to take away any of the time he could spend with Erica and interrupt that.

I watched out of the window as Erica spoke with King and a few seconds later they were making their way over to the car.

I took in a deep breath as King climbed into the passenger side and Erica in the drivers seat.

"Hiiiii King!" I say smiling at him and turns my way. "I hope it's cool, your mommy invited me to help you two pick out a new puppy to take with you to Cali" I look over at Erica who's smiling with approval.

She was telling me he was I guess. Not that I expected anything less from his pure heart. King was a special little boy, the sweetest too.

"Hi Cyn. Yeahhh I told mommy it was cool. But only if you have good puppy picking skills. You do right?"  He asks pretty serious.

"Oh of course! I pick the best dogs. I think with my help, you'll be leaving with the best dog in that place" I say to him holding my hand out and King slides me five.

"So can we go now mom!?" He asks turning to Erica even more excited now.

She laughs starting the car. "Calm down, calm down I'm going, I'm going. Buckle up Pap."

***************************************
I watched as King held on to the tiny puppy in his hands.

"She's so adorable. I think she's the one!" I coo as I look at the tiny little thing.

King hands her over and I hold her right  up to Erica's face. She was not a dog person at all. She liked Prince for a while until he chewed the strap off her Chanel bag.

He didn't mean it, it was his way of protecting his mommy.

"How adorable is she E!?" I ask kissing the top of her head.

"She's so small and cute mom! We gotta get her" King adds.

Erica didn't see the hype, I could tell but she was being a good sport.

"She is kinda cute" Erica says taking her out of my hands.

I smile at her before looking at King. "So what should we name her King?" I ask and he puts on his thinking face.

"Mmmm...how about Thunder! Like OKC" he says so serious.

"What about something more girly...like Elsa!" I say looking at King and Erica who both disagreed. I thought it was clever.

I look at Erica. I can tell she's thinking. "What about Emmy?" She asks stroking the tiny puppy as she slept on her shoulder.

"Emmy!" King and I say in unison. That name was so cute. I wasn't sure where Erica had pulled that from but it fit the little nugget perfectly.

After signing a few papers Emmy was theirs to take. They let King play withEmmy for a bit in the dog park and it gave E and I a little time to talk.

"I'm glad you came with us baby." She says to me.

"Me too. King got so big since I last seen him. He's 8 and just about my height. What he been eating?" I joke kissing her cheek as we watched King and Emmy play.

"Only thing he gets from me. His height! I like to live in denial and think he looks like me too" she jokes.

"No totally around the eyes I see it." I agree sarcastically.

"I'm just glad my baby is happy. Well, one of my babies ...I have an entire day planned for just us tomorrow. I know coming out here didn't really fit your schedule so I wanna make it worth your while" she grins.

"You didn't have to boo. I'm okay just chilling with you and King...I promise."
I say to her.

And it was true, I didn't need anything else. I had what I wanted and what I needed right beside me. But knowing Erica she wasn't gonna give up too easy. 

"I know you would. And that's why I love you. But I promise you're gonna love it." She says and I can tell she's cooked up something big.

"Fine. As long as it's not too over the top. You know I don't need too much" I say looking at her.

"I can't make any promises" she says kissing my cheek.

King runs over to us a few moments later pulling me by the hand.

"You gotta come see this Cyn. They have a  tiny little chipotle burrito costume for Emmy" he laughs.

He remembered my infatuation with Chipotle?

I look back at Erica as I'm being pulled away. She gives me a smile and mouths Good Luck.

I knew King could sometimes get a little chatty and talk your head off but I didn't mind. He was accepting me in his life and building up from here was all that mattered.

The last two chapters will be a PT 1 and PT 2 of each other! Then book #2 will be on the way.