Chapter 4: Finding My Way Back

Erica POV

It had been 2 days since New York. I was back in LA now, thank god. I never realized how depressing and dark winter could be on the east coast, and I was glad to be back where the sun actually shined every day.

Don't get me wrong, New York was always gonna' be home, but Cali was where I felt like I was meant to be right now. I had so much lined up career and business wise, things were just falling into place. At least in those parts of my life.

There was however one thing I missed about New York, of course that was Cyn. That night she stayed with me was amazing. Nothing happened, unfortunately but just being next to her again was enough.

Now I wasn't gonna act like I didn't care about Shad. Contrary to popular belief I didn't get with him just for his money.

We'd been friends through other mutual friends for years. After Cyn and I broke up, he shot his shot and shit it was a good one.

Plus after all the shit with Cyn and I was over. Even though the first promise we ever made to eachother was to remain friends no matter what happened between us. She wasn't too happy with me.

It was almost 10 and truthfully I'd been hiding at the HER office all day. I hadn't broke it off with Shad just yet, since I'd gotten back things just felt awkward.

We weren't really talking much. He was on the CSI set most of the day and I was spending some extra hours at the office...on purpose . I was going to do it...soon. I just had to have some things lined up before I did.

I'm about to lock up and head home when my phone starts going off. It's a FaceTime call from Cyn.

I answer on the second ring after making sure I look good.

"Santana!" I shout from behind my desk as her beautiful face pops up on my screen.

"Hey boo. You still at the office?" She asks and I nod yes in response.

"You know I been practically living here since I got back..." I see that she's driving. Leave it to Cyn to be facetiming me and driving at the same time.

"What part of the city you in?" I ask

"Ever since I left the city youuu you you" Cyn sings along to the radio horribly ignoring my question.

I can't help but to laugh at her silly ass.

"Who sings that song?" I ask quirking a half smile and she rolls her eyes knowing what I'm about to say.

"Drake..."

"Cool...let him sing it"

She flips me the middle finger and I laugh again. She always kept me laughing and smiling. Something I rarely got from Shad.

"Real mature." I say shaking my head.

"One second. Hold on" she says to me and the call goes on pause.

I use it as an opportunity to start gathering all my stuff so I can go ahead and lock up. I stand up from my seat and grab a few bags. I go for the light switch and cut the lights off in the office. I was gonna' force myself to be back early in the AM.

I wanted to spend the least time I could in Shad's house. It was awkward enough I was about to break this off less than two months before the wedding but my heart was with that girl in New York.

As I'm walking out the door staring down at my phone I walk right into a woman.

"Shit I'm so sorry" I say as I look up and instantly there are butterflies.

"Cyn!" I practically jump into her arms as I hug her. "What are you doing here!?" I ask stepping back and ending our face time call.

"I'm here on business. I can't really say too much because it's not set in stone but I'm excited about it." She's looking at me with those big brown eyes and I can tell she's excited.

"Sounds big. Why didn't you tell me you were coming though?" I ask

She reaches down and grabs my hand, interlacing our fingers.

"I wanted to surprise you obviously" she says smiling up at me. She was so damn cute.

"Well I'm definitely surprised" I chuckle.
"How long you here for?" I ask.

"A few days. I was hoping we could just chill while I'm here."

I squeeze her hand lightly in mine as I speak. "Of course we can. Wanna do lunch? Better yet I'll cook something. You know since we both know you burn toast. And we can have lunch here"

Cyn's mouth drops open. "I do not"
She pouts. "And this is not a date E" she points her finger at my chest with a flirty smile. "So don't get no ideas. Just hanging out"

She was really making me work for this. I was game. I was finding my way back. I was willing to put in a little work if it meant getting her in the end of all. I knew that I had to end things with Shad tonight.

The more I was around her again I could already feel my vibe changing for the better. I didn't have to wonder with Cyn. With her it was pure. She didn't want anything from me but me.

I feel like that was why our love was so real...and it still was. In my other relationships they took from me. Even as a little girl...growing up in foster care for three years. My innocence was taken.

But being with Cyn made me forget all that hurt.
Made me let go of a lot of that anger. She just made me happy.

"Whatever you say." I laugh walking her back to her car. I open her door and she slides in the driver seat. I wished I could hop right in the passenger and just ride with her. But I definitely had something to handle tonight.