Chapter 9

Rachel's POV

Monday.

I woke up to the sound of my alarm feeling less enthusiastic as compare to my usual mornings. My phone's alarm kept on blasting through the four corners of my room. I sat up and reached for it to turn off the unwanted noise.

I opened my phone to see pending messages. I scrolled down to read the names. Chloe, Riley, the coach, and Lex. I opened Lex's message first.

"Do not tell anyone."

Four words. I sighed in frustration. Since she left using dad's chopper without a word last Saturday, she hasn't been answering any of my calls or texts. Sunday came and went without a word from her.

After reading the rest of my messages, I then went through my everyday morning routine and headed to meet dad at the table.

"Good morning, dad. Any news?" I asked as I sat down.

He folded the newspaper before looking at me. "Since when did you become interested in the morning paper?" he asked comically making me roll my eyes.

"Dad, I meant Cassie," I whined. I looked at all of the food at the table. None of them seemed appetizing enough. I poured milk on my glass and just settled for a toast.

"She's at Lex's now," dad said while massaging his eyebrows. He breathed out a sigh before slouching back on his chair. "A family friend who's also a great doctor is now overseeing her progress. She's still comatosed though."

I nodded and finished my toast. "Can I go to Lex's later after school?" I asked before I stood up and grabbed my bag.

"You should ask Lex. If she says yes then it's okay," he said before he stood up and kissed my forehead. I gave him a hug but the noise of the door opening made us pull away from one another.

I looked at the direction and saw Simeon standing there with two men. They were all wearing black suits with blue ties. Their eyes were covered with sunglasses.

"Buenos dias, Mr. and Miss Ashford," he greeted us with a smile.

"Simeon, what are you doing here?" I asked in confusion. He looked at my father. I turned to Dad to see him looking at me.

"Additional protection. Lex and I agreed to give you extra security from the RLE," dad said as he stood up and fixed his grey tie.

"But dad, Lex is the one who needs extra protection. Besides, I already have Cobra," I answered feeling anxious. The last thing I want is Men in Black following my every move.

Simeon cleared his throat, "My apology, Miss Ashford, but we are under strict orders from the Young Master. The car is ready."

I heaved a sigh of frustration and went out with them on my trail. Another man in black was holding the door to the waiting car. I then went to the backseat with Simeon sitting on the seat across me. There was a partition between the driver and our seat. I noticed the two other guys rode a black car and trailed behind us.

"Whose car is this? I don't remember my father having this", I asked as my eyes roamed around the vehicle. The windows were heavily tinted. The space between me and Simeon can even fit a small table and two extra chairs positioned sideways.

"The Young Master modelled this car. It was created for special purposes such as this", Simeon answered.

"Why do you call her Young Master? I know she's rich and all but you could have just settled with calling her Ma'am or such," I asked curiously.

"It is because of this mark," he answered as he removed his sunglasses. The absence of the sunglasses revealed a scar shaped like a small crucifix with the vertical line lining the bridge of his nose and the horizontal line cut underneath his eyes.